OUR SPORTING COLUMN.

ROWING.

THE past season has been in the matter of sports of all kinds, the most successful that this country has ever known, and has also been remarkable for the number of important events that have come up for decision. May next year see as flourishing a condition of athletic affairs of all kinds!

Columbia. - The victory which this despised crew obtained at Henley is now a matter of history. But when we think of the auspices under which they went to England, - the papers crying them down, outsiders considering their expedition the height of folly, and even their own friends and college mates thinking them rash and foolhardy, - when we think of all this, our admiration for their pluck and determination is only equalled by the surprise and delight that was felt when they declined to accept the public reception tendered them by the city of New York, refusing to make a public rejoicing out of what was solely and simply a college matter.

The Spirit of the Times some weeks since proposed in a leading editorial to institute races at the National Regatta like those at Henley, and to call one the "Goodwin Cup," another the "Eldridge Cup." etc., etc., taking in the whole crew and the substitute in as many different races. As this was done in the leading editorial, it is presumable that it was not sarcasm, but sober earnest. It would seem, however, that such a proceeding would be as distasteful to the Columbia crew, as it would be ridiculous to the world at large.

Harvard Club Races. - This year will, it is to be hoped, see the matter of the house clubs definitely settled, one way or the other. They should either be given up altogether, which under the circumstances would seem not only advisable but unavoidable, or some determined effort made to put them on a substantial footing. A return to the system of class races seems probable, if the clubs are given up, and if they can be made races for eight-oars, it will undoubtedly be the best thing that could happen. There are now some five or six eight-oared shells on the rests at the boat-house, which could be used for class races for some years to come. It is sincerely to be hoped that rowing is not going to die out among us and become a lost art, though just now things seem tending that way. A decided move, one way or the other, must be made.

ATHLETICS.That track on Jarvis or Holmes seems to be a thing of the less vivid future. If the H. A. A. cannot secure Jarvis, let them take Holmes, and have the fifth of a mile track laid out immediately, so that men can begin to train at once. It should be kept in mind that prizes equal in value and beauty to those given last year will be offered this, and will be worth any man's training for. We trust that this year's Freshman class will not be as distrustful of their powers in the athletic line as their predecessors, or so backward in displaying what powers they have. A man never knows what he can do till he tries, - and here try means train.

Fast Walking. - On September 14, at the sports of the Scottish-American Athletic Club, F. H. Armstrong in a 3-mile handicap, walking from scratch, covered the distance in 21 min. 17 sec., the fastest record in the world. The best English record is 21 min. 36 sec. by Venn, and the best American hitherto was 22 min. and 9 1/3 sec. by Armstrong. The track used was nine laps to the mile, and with very short corners. At the same meeting, out of five heats in a 75-yard handicap there were three dead-heats, - a silent compliment to the efficiency of the handicapper.

Armstrong. - This splendid amateur walker is to be sent abroad by the Harlem Athletic Club, to compete with English amateurs. Mr. F. J. Mott, of the same club, is also to be sent out.

Bicycling.Bicyclists should bear in mind that another handsome prize will be offered for their branch of sports at the fall meeting of the H. A. A., and govern themselves accordingly. Now, if the H. A. A. will inaugurate the system of bi-weekly handicaps in this and other sports, we shall see some fine races at the fall meeting.