THE FRESHMAN RACE.

The two mile straight-away race in eight-oared shells between Columbia, '86, and Harvard, '86, was rowed on the afternoon of June 27, and proved an easy victory for Harvard, the blue and white being left six lengths (19 seconds) in the rear. At the start the Harvard crew instantly forged ahead, rowing 41 strokes to their opponents 47. Columbia rowed in poor form, splashing very badly and rolling the boat. Harvard's perfect form almost immediately gave her a commanding lead, and before the first half minute was passed the men in the Cambridge boat felt sure of victory. The half mile was passed by Harvard in 2 minutes 30 seconds, with Columbia a length and a half behind. From this point the race was converted into a procession similar to the Harvard-Columbia race of the previous week. At the mile, which Harvard passed in a little over five minutes, No. 4 in the Columbia shell now four lengths behind, caught a crab, in which he was at once imitated by No. 1. By this accident Harvard opened up at least one more length of clear water. When Columbia had recovered she ran up her stroke to 44 a minute, and for a short time held her own, but Harvard with a fine lead pulled without effort and passed the mile and a half flag in 7 minutes, 50 seconds, and crossed the finish line six lengths ahead in 11 minutes, 22 seconds from the time of starting. The crews were followed by a number of small tugs which were mainly filled with Harvard freshmen, Columbia men being vastly in the minority. One steamer carried an enormous crimson silk banner inscribed with the figures '86 in the centre, which was afterwards carried in the procession of the next day. The officials of the race were: Referee, Capt. Lewis K. Hull of the Yale crew; judge for Harvard, Capt. Edward D. Brandegee of the '81 Harvard crew; judge for Columbia, Capt. Jasper T. Goodwin; time-keepers, for Harvard, Mr. frank Bolles; for Columbia, Mr. Geo. B. Lee; judge at finish, Mr. J. C. Ayer, Harvard, '86.