WORLD'S ROWING REGATTA.

THE following letter was received by the Executive Committee the 21st inst.:-

UNITED STATES CONSULATE, GENEVA, Dec. 30, 1878.

PRESIDENT HARVARD UNIVERSITY BOAT CLUB.

SIR, - A meeting of the Consular Representatives of different governments was held recently in this city, to consider a proposition for having a grand World's International Amateur Rowing Regatta in August of next year upon the Lake of Geneva, comprising the general order of races, with a series of special races for University Oarsmen.

The proposition was most cordially received by all present, and evoked such a general desire to adopt the necessary measures to accomplish it, that a Committee was appointed to communicate, through the metropolitan press and other mediums, with the boating organizations of different countries, in order that the views of Rowers generally upon the matter may be ascertained prior to taking definite action.

The idea of a "World's Rowing Regatta" upon "clear, placid Leman," one of the most beautiful sheets of water to be found on the globe, adapted in every way for a perfect race, where all the boats entered could start in line and have full space for work, - is certainly as novel as it is pleasing, and, with my colleagues of the Consular Corps, I sincerely hope that all true admirers of Aquatic sports throughout the world will unite in promoting such a wished-for consummation.

I take pleasure in assuring those of my own country that, should the proposition be favorably entertained, the Regatta upon the Lake of Geneva will be made most satisfactory in every respect, that it will be conducted upon the most honorable principles, and in strict accordance with the recognized rules of boating, and that all the requirements necessary to insure a most perfect competition for the Championship will be scrupulously and carefully fulfilled.

I can also add that the Representatives of the different governments will do all in their power to render the visit of the Rowing World to Geneva most enjoyable, and the occasion one which will prove a delightful episode in the history of Amateur Regattas.

In order that the sentiments of the various Clubs in America may be ascertained and the Consular Corps advised thereof, it is very desirable that such as may think favorably of the plan shall communicate with me with the least possible delay.

I need scarcely state that any action you may take to influence or promote a World's Regatta upon this beautiful lake will be very highly appreciated.

I am, sir,

Very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

J. EGLINTON MONTGOMERY, Consul.

Considering the present unorganized condition of our crew, and the uncertainty as to what crews will compete in this regatta, and the absence of any inducements, the committee thought best to send a negative answer, - an action which will probably be supported by all in the University.