MEETING OF THE BOAT CLUB.

THE meeting of the Boat Club, held last Wednesday evening, was called to order at 7.30 by the President, Mr. Trimble. Mr. Baylies, the Treasurer, then read his report, which showed the club to be out of debt with the balance in the treasury of $634.03. This announcement was received with enthusiasm, and a vote of thanks was tendered Mr. Baylies.

Officers for the ensuing year were elected by acclamation, as follows: President, Charles Ware, '80; Vice-President, F. H. Wheelan, '80; Treasurer, W. R. Thayer, '81; Secretary, Prescott Evarts, '81.

The following challenge from Yale was read by Mr. Allen:-

NEW HAVEN, Sept. 24, '79.To the Secretary of the H. U. B. C.

DEAR SIR, - The Yale University Boat Club do hereby challenge you, the Harvard University Boat Club, to an eight oared, four-mile race, straight away with coxswains, the time and place to be hereafter agreed upon.

Yours respectfully,

G. B. PRESTON, Sec. Y. U. B. C.The challenge was accepted without debate.

A vote was then passed that the Executive Committee present a suitable memento to Commodore Boardman, to express the thanks of the Boat Club for the use of his yacht at the race.

A motion that cups be presented to the last year's crew was lost after some discussion.

A note was read from several gentlemen of Lowell, asking for Harvard's concurrence in the formation of a New England amateur rowing association. The matter was referred to the Executive Committee.

A motion was then made that the ex officio members of the Executive Committee, i.e. the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Captain of the Crew, elect four other members, one from each class, the whole to form a committee of nine, which should have power over all the business of the Boat Club, - including its policy, - except the question of challenges.

As this motion was in opposition to the constitution, it was necessary to put it in the form of an amendment; but it failed to obtain a two-thirds vote of the members present.

The meeting then adjourned. It was well attended, and the choice of officers promises well for the support of the Crew this year. The Treasurer stated that the balance in the treasury should not lead men to be backward in their subscriptions, as it was only equivalent to the fund raised by theatricals last year. We hope that the University will be prompt with its subscriptions, and save the officers of the Club the great annoyance and trouble to which they have been previously subjected.

W.