THE NEW REGULATIONS.

THE revised set of Regulations contain some changes which all undergraduates may profitably note. The most important changes are those that relate to honors, deficiency in scholarship, and penalties. Several sections taken from the "Scales of Scholarship" and the "Degree of Bachelor of Arts" form, with the system of "Honorable Mention," a new subject-division, "Honors at Graduation, and other Distinctions."

Under this head the words "degree with distinction" are clearly defined. "Distinction in the degree shall be in three grades; indicated by the words cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude, respectively." Parts at Commencement are to be assigned to those who receive one of the above marks of distinction. Ninety per cent of the maximum mark on the general scale for the whole course takes a summa cum laude; eighty per cent, a magna cum laude; and seventy-five per cent, or Honorable Mention in any study, provided sixty-five per cent has been attained on the general scale for the whole course, or seventy per cent for the last three years, or seventy-five per cent for the last two years, takes a cum laude.

In the "Deficiencies in Scholarship," the regulation that required a conditioned student, in order to make up such condition, to attend the regular exercise in the corresponding course of study for that year has been modified by making attendance voluntary. The minimum mark for a student who has been absent from the regular exercise in any study is no longer raised on account of such absence.

To the changes in the "Penalties" the most careful attention should be given by undergraduates, both because it will be for their own good, and because it will save much trouble at the office. "Warnings" have taken the place of "Private Admonitions," and "Admonitions" of "Public Admonitions," while "Parietal Admonitions" are no longer in the list to enforce discipline. The use of the word "absence" is rather arbitrary, and for that very reason deserves to be remarked. "Absence from a recitation" is taken as the unit of censure by which all failures, enumerated in section 30, to perform duties, are measured. All failures to attend church or prayers are referred to "one absence from prayers" as an unit of censure, five of which are equivalent to one absence from church. Censure marks are, therefore, wholly dispensed with, and "absences" take their place. Seniors and Juniors, since they have voluntary recitations, will not be allowed so many "absences" as Sophomores and Freshmen. The proportion, as soon as it is determined, will be put on the bulletin board. The aim of these changes is to lessen the number of possible ways of Probation or Suspension, and to leave no occasion for the plea of ignorance of the law. But absences from religious exercises cannot be added to absences from college exercises to occasion any penalty.

The justness of the further restrictions on the college societies and on suspended men will be questioned by some.