A UNIVERSITY FABLE.

A GOOD-NATURED Lion, a literary Owl, a rakish Fox, and an innocent young Kid once agreed to hunt together, with the agreement that all game should be amicably shared. No sooner were they in the Forest, than the Fox took the Kid aside, and made this harangue: "My dear Kid, you are inexperienced in hunting; come, you and I will hunt together, while this stupid Lion is asleep, and we will divide whatever prey we find, and have the Lion's share to ourselves." To this the Kid readily agreed, and the two succeeded in bringing down a Hare. "You," said the Fox, " are a Vegetarian; I will keep the Hare to myself, and you shall have the first Haystack we catch."

The Lion by his own strength had captured a fat Ox, and the Fox and Kid endeavored to seize a part of it. "No," said the Lion, "the crafty Fox can care for himself, and as for you, Kid, since you prefer to hunt with him, you shall share with him." So the Lion and the Owl fared well, and the Fox was satisfied with his Hare; but the poor Kid had nothing, and when he found a juicy branch, he only turned up his nose and said, "Give it to the Lion."

MORAL: It is easy to sell one's self, but difficult to collect the money.