THE ATHLETIC MEETING.

LAST Saturday was as unfavorable a day for good records as could well have happened; but, in spite of the biting wind and clouds of dust, there was a good-sized audience on Jarvis Field, and the sports were fairly interesting.

The first event was for the one-mile walk, in which, out of six men entered, only two appeared at the scratch. These were Messrs. F. C. Huidekoper, '80, and E. E. Wentworth, '82. For about half a mile they kept along within three feet of each other; but, by the end of the third lap, Wentworth worked ahead, and won by ten yards, in 8 m. 36 s. Huidekoper's time was 8 m. 42 1/2 s.

Messrs. R. Sturgis, '81, and A. C. Denniston, '83, next competed for the running high jump. The former stopped at 5 ft. 2 in., while the latter easily cleared 5 ft. 3 in.

In the one hundred yards dash, there were four entries: Messrs. W. W. Kent, '82; E. J. Wendell, '82; C. Stetson, '81; and J. B. Field, '80. Stetson started best, and held Wendell for fifteen or twenty yards, when he was passed by Wendell, whose time was 10 3/4 s. Stetson and Field were nearly even for second and third places.

In the quarter-mile run, Messrs. W. A. Blodgett, '81, G. C. Buell, '82, E. L. Underwood, '82, and T. H. Simmons, '80, started. By his magnificent stride and staying power, Simmons easily won in 54 3/4 s., - remarkable time, considering the strong wind. Underwood was second.

The next event was the running broad jump, in which there were three contestants: Messrs. F. H. Thompson, '82; A. C. Denniston, '83; and C. P. Curtis, '83. After repeated trials, the score stood: Curtis, 16 ft. 5 in; Thompson, 18 ft. 3 in.; Denniston, 18 ft. 8 in. This last is the best record yet made at Harvard.

For the two hundred and twenty yards dash, Messrs. Wendell, Kent, and Stetson competed; the former winning as he pleased, in 24 1/4 s. Stetson was second, in 25 s.

The half-mile run, the next on the programme, created a great deal of amusement. Simmons cantered round the track, sometimes stopping to walk, at others shaking hands with persons outside, while Buell, '82, and Norman, '82, kept up a slow dog-trot. Ten yards from the finish, Norman gained on his competitor, and got second prize, in 3 m. 24 s. Simmons's time was 3 m. 4 s.

For the one hundred and twenty yards hurdle-race, Messrs. J. L. Lamson, '80, and A. C. Denniston, '83, contested. This was the prettiest exhibition of the day, Denniston barely winning by six inches, in 21 s.

Messrs. A. G. Warner, '82, H. T. Oxnard, '82, and A. L. Hall, '80, started for the mile-run. Warner soon dropped out, and Oxnard, who had kept close to Hall's heels most of the way, lost ground in trying to spurt on the last lap, and came in second. Hall's time was 5 m. 25 1/2 s.

In the hop, step, and jump, Taft, '81, made 37 ft. 11 in., and Thompson, '82, made 38 ft. 10 in.

The last event was a fifth-mile hurdle-race. About fifteen men entered, and it was amusing to see the frequent falls and close competition. Wendell, '82, got the lead near the start, and won in 57 sec. H. Elliott, S. S., was second, and Field, '80, third.

Mr. Bancroft, '78, was referee; and Messrs. Butler, '77, R. Trimble, '80, and C. Morgan, '80, acted as judges.