SECOND MEETING OF THE H. A. A.

NOTWITHSTANDING a report in the Advocate that there were "only three entries for the second meeting," the Gymnasium was fairly well filled, and those present were able to see a much better exhibition than the preceding. Altogether there were fifteen - not three - entries; but it was evident that several of those who entered had not given much time to training, and presented themselves merely to fill up. Although this is better than no entries at all, it certainly does not tend to raise the standard of our records, which, after all, is - or rather ought to be - the ambition of those who represent Harvard's athletic interests.

The first event, called promptly at 2 P.M., was between Messrs. R. W. Ellis, '79, and H. N. Fowler, '80, in exercise on the horizontal bar. The former excelled at almost every point, his "giant swing" and changing quickly while turning being specially noteworthy. He was awarded the cup.

For the next event - Indian-club swinging - Messrs. E. D. Brandegee, '81, and J. T. Howe, '80, presented themselves. Mr. Brandegee led off with a fine exhibition of heavy club swinging, and Mr. Howe followed with a marvellously agile performance, using much lighter clubs. In the second round the former executed several extremely difficult motions which tested his strength, and showed off his perfect condition and careful training. Then Mr. Howe gave a second display of a great variety of dexterous tricks, which, however, belonged properly to the province of juggling and sleight-of-hand, rather than to that of club swinging. It may be suggested to the Executive Committee that in the future it would be well to distinguish between these two exercises, which are as distinct from each other as a standing jump is from a running jump. To Mr. Howe was adjudged the prize.

The next event - two-hand vaulting - proved popular, and five men entered, - Messrs. W. Watson, '81, F. F. Sneathen, L. S., H. N. Fowler, '80, J. L. Paine, '81, and C. H. W. Foster, '81. The vaulting was in "fence" fashion, although the proportion of fence was somewhat meagre. The bar was first placed at 5 feet 3 inches, and raised three inches each time. All the men cleared it easily, until the height reached was 6 feet 3 inches, when Mr. Paine failed to get over. At the next peg Mr. Fowler dropped from the list, and as none of the three remaining contestants succeeded in clearing the bar at 6 feet 9 inches, it was decided to give the cup to the one who made the cleanest vault at that height. Mr. Watson was the winner in the final trial.

For the middle-weight sparring there were six men entered, five of whom answered to their names, Messrs. R. Guiteras, '82 (155 1/2 lbs.); C. Brigham, '80 (153 1/2 lbs.); E. D. Hawkins, '81 (154 lbs.); W. A. Gaston, '80 (147 lbs.); I. T. Burr, '79 (157 lbs.); S. Hoar, '82, withdrawn.

In the first bout, while Mr. Brigham showed admirable quickness in ducking, and in hitting effective "wind" blows, Mr. Guiteras, by his long reach, succeeded in getting in a majority of "face" hits and in showing superior style. He won the bout.

In the second encounter, Messrs. Gaston and Hawkins were drawn together. For a time the match was too much in the former's favor to be exciting, but towards the end Mr. Hawkins showed signs of improvement. Mr. Gaston, however, easily won the bout.

The last, and most interesting feature of the day, if we judge by the excitement and applause it produced, was the bout between Messrs. Burr and Guiteras. The first round of this event proved to be by far the best display of skill given during the afternoon, and at almost every blow Mr. Burr succeeded in getting the better of his antagonist. But during the second round both men grew rather excited, and then science gave way to frequent locks and heavy battering, in which Mr. Guiteras, apparently the cooler of the two, got in a succession of powerful upper-cuts. The third round was a repetition of the preceding, though more even. Two or three times the ushers were obliged to separate the sparrers, to the amusement of the audience. After a long consultation the judges decided the bout in favor of Mr. Guiteras, who will finally contest with Mr. Gaston tomorrow, when any entries in "feather-weight" sparring - hitherto omitted through oversight - may also be made.