THE SINGLE-SCULL RACE.

THE race between Edmund P. Livingstone, who has held the championship at Yale for three years, and Warren N. Goddard, who has been champion at Harvard for two years, took place at Lake Quinsigamond on Friday, May 9, and resulted in an easy victory for Goddard. Following are the particulars of the race.

Early in the afternoon the crowd began to collect on the shores of the lake, and by 5 o'clock about two thousand people had assembled. There were about sixty or eighty Harvard men present, and Yale men were conspicuous chiefly by their absence. At 5.05 P. M. the signal was given for the contestants to appear. Livingstone was soon seen pushing off from the float of the Quinsigamond Boat Club, and only a few minutes elapsed before the Harvard representative pulled up from O'Leary's boat-house and took his position at the start. Livingstone had the choice of positions, and took the east shore, which gave him little or no advantage. At 5.18 P.M. the men were started. Livingstone took the water first, and with a short, quick, but powerful stroke shot ahead of his competitor. Goddard bent to his work at the rate of 34 long, clean strokes to the minute, and at the end of the first hundred yards was on even terms with Livingstone, who had been pulling 36. Opposite Regatta Point, an eighth of a mile from the start, Goddard's supporters began to call on him for a spurt, and he responded with a slightly more rapid stroke, and began to draw away from his rival, whom he led by a length and a half at the quarter-mile stake.

From the quarter to the half mile Goddard slowed down to 30, while Livingstone still kept rowing 35; but it was evident that even at this rate the Harvard man was clearly getting the best of his opponent. Goddard turned the upper stake three lengths ahead, having rowed the mile in 6.50, and squared for home 10 seconds later.

The rest of the race was uninteresting, as Goddard was not forced to quicken his easy stroke of 30 to the minute, and did not care to go in for time. As he came by Regatta Point cheer after cheer was given him, which encouraged him to put in a few heavy strokes, and finish the course in 14 minutes and 30 seconds, 10 lengths ahead of Livingstone, whose time was 14.49. Following is the schedule:-

Height. Weight. Time.

Warren N. Goddard 5ft. 11 1/2in 145 14.30.

Edmund P. Livingstone 5ft. 6in. 140 14.49.

The styles of the two oarsmen were widely different. Goddard with his 14-inch slide pulled a clean and powerful stroke, while he kept his shell on a perfectly even keel. Livingstone's boat rolled, and he had a trick of bending himself up at the catch which was enough to take the wind out of any man. The Yale man looked plump and well-fed, but had evidently had very little of that training which gave the Harvard man his fine and clean-cut figure.

Mr. Edwin Brown of the Quinsigamond Boat Club acted as referee, Messrs. Walter Trimble and Edmund L. Baylies as judges for Goddard, and Messrs. Herman Livingstone and Charles F. Aldrich as judges for Livingstone. Thanks are due to the officers of the Quinsigamond Boat Club for the hospitality extended to all Harvard men who were present, and for the orderly and judicious management of the race. At the Quinsigamond boat-house Goddard was presented with an elegant silver cup, which he accepted, saying that he had been working for it for the last week, and not, as was reported, that he had been expecting it