A COUNTERFEIT PRESENTIMENT.

"DID you get engaged on Class Day?" was the question with which many of us were greeted on the following morning. In answer to such a question my chum handed me a crumpled letter. I read as follows:-

"BOSTON, June 18, 1879."MY DEAR FRIEND, - I am invited to Mr. Holworthy's spread on Class Day, and hope to see you there. You know we have not met since that delightful summer which we spent together at Mt. Desert. You were a Freshman then. How long ago it seems, and how nice it will be to find you almost a Senior! Perhaps you are changed, too. Indeed, I am not sure that I should know you, for, what do you think? I had the misfortune to bow to a gentleman in the street, thinking it was you, and he came up and spoke to me, and I did n't find out my mistake until I had talked with him some time. He proved to be a classmate of yours, and told me his name. I only remember that it began with B. Doubtless you have heard all about it by this time. Now, remember, I shall depend upon seeing you Class Day.

"Your old friend,

LILLIE M. F."P. S. - I have been in Boston only a day, or I should have sent out my card. I shall be delighted to see you after Class Day."

"That is the note which did it," said my chum.

"Did what?"

"Why, made all the trouble. I spent all the morning yesterday trying to think what man in the class looked so much like me. I thought of that handsome Beck, but he certainly don't look like me."

"Not at all," said I.

"Then there's Van Boozle, - stylish fellow, - Bellows of the Glee Club, Brush of the Art Club, Bond of the Finance Club, and the rest. I was thinking them over, as I lay on the grass, when some one slapped me on the shoulder, and, looking up, I saw that contemptible little Browser of our class, - the scrubby man with the pug nose.

"Hulloa, old man!' cried Browser; 'such a deuced funny thing happened the other day! Deuced pretty girl took me for you, you know, - had a long walk with her. Bad grind on you, old man! Capital, is n't it?'

"Do you think we resemble each other, Browser?'

"Oh, well enough for some purposes. You see, the girl was struck with me, and wanted to flirt. Said she mistook me for a friend, - way they always do, you know, - but gad! she was cut up badly when she found I knew you, and so she stuck to it that she could n't tell us apart.'

"That was worse yet. I could stand being taken for Browser, but to think of Lillie's flirting with such a wretch, - it was too much.

"I found her at Memorial Hall, and of course never let on that I was n't invited to Holworthy's spread. After we were cosily seated in Sanders Theatre she was as sentimental as the Advocate, and even more complimentary.

" 'How you have changed, Tom!' she said. 'You are so much taller and stouter, and such a delicious waltzer. You are not at all like the gentleman whom I mistook for you in the street.'

" 'When you want to flirt, Lillie, pick out a handsome man, and then you won't have any difficulty in making a friend believe that you mistook the stranger for him.'

" 'So the wretch told you that I flirted with him, did he? and you prefer to believe him rather than me? and you are conceited enough to think that you were always as fine looking as you are now?'

"The fact is," continued my chum, "that Browser is a terrible liar. I did n't believe that she flirted at all, and told her so, and then I took her hand, and then - "

"Well, what then? Did her chaperon come in?"

"No."

"You did n't propose, and get told that she was already engaged?"

"No."

"Well, what?"

"Why, there is only one other way in which a Class-Day romance can end, and that is the best way."

"Oh, Tom! how you did let that little girl humbug you, to be sure," said I. "I'll warrant that you asked her pardon for suspecting her of flirting."

His only answer was an invitation to go over to Carl's.