THE LAST GAME WITH YALE.

NOT only was the last contest with Yale noteworthy as being one of the most splendid of our victories, but also because in it Tyng, Ernst, and Wright played for the last time with Harvard. The departure of three such men, whose reputation on the ball-field will long be kept alive by succeeding classes, is an event of no small interest to the University.

The 28th of June, at Providence, was all that could be desired. Large numbers of Harvard and Yale supporters gathered to see the game, which was called at 3.15 P.M., with Yale at the bat.

1st Inning. Hutchinson out at first, assisted by Coolidge. But Yale seems to have complete control of Ernst's pitching, for Parker, Lamb, Camp, and Clark make base-hits in quick succession, and manage to score. Walden breaks the spell by knocking a fly to Holden. Hopkins gets first on an error, but is left at third, as Watson is last man out, Ernst to Wright. Harvard's chances look slim, with four runs for Yale. Coolidge goes to the bat for our side, and earns first, but is put out in trying to steal second. Tyng strikes out, and Ernst closes the inning, Walden to Hopkins. 0 runs.

2d Inning. A noticeable change in Ernst's pitching takes place, and the Yale strikers are put out in one-two-three order; but Lamb retaliates, and Harvard has the same luck. 0 runs for either side.

3d Inning. Again Yale fails to reach first base; Ernst and Tyng have got into their old-time, clock-like precision. But Harvard does not succeed in hitting Lamb, and although Holden manages to get to first by an error, he is left there. The score is still 4 to 0 for Yale.

4th Inning. Walden and Hopkins knock easy flies to Coolidge; Watson earns first, and is running to third on a hit to the out-field by Ripley, but he is thrown out, by Winsor to Holden. This brilliant play saves a run. Tyng, for Harvard, goes out on a fly to right-field; Ernst reaches first base on a missed third-strike; Wright steps up to bat, and earns two bases on a long liner out to left field, bringing Ernst home, amidst great excitement. Winsor gets to second by an error of centre-field; and a base-hit will give two more runs; unfortunately Olmstead and Nunn both go out on fouls. Score, Yale 4, Harvard 1. There is a slight hope for the crimson.

5th Inning. Hutchinson drives the ball to Holden, who throws it to Wright; Parker, more successful, gets to first on a missed third-strike, - Tyng's only error, - but is thrown out at second, by a neat double play. Harvard's batters again fail to earn first, and the score is still 4 to 1 for Yale.

6th Inning. Camp, Clark, and Walden are quickly disposed of. Then Tyng opens the inning for Harvard, by sending a fly to centre-field. Ernst luckily gets his base on called balls, and Wright again takes his turn at the bat - again driving the ball to left field for two bases. Ernst scores, but Wright is left on third, as Winsor and Olmstead are put out. 1 run. Yale 4, Harvard 2.

7th Inning. It begins to look gloomy for Harvard, as Hopkins, the first man at the bat, earns his base; but he gets no farther, for Ernst, by magnificent pitching, despatches the next men in one-two-three style.

Nunn is first man out for Harvard on a foul-bound. The game is drawing to an end, with Yale still two runs ahead. Cohen tries his chance, and hits a single; Holden imitates him; Coolidge goes out on three strikes; Tyng brings the first two home by a two-baser, and scores himself on Ernst's single. Ernst is cut off at second. The score now stands Harvard 5, Yale 4. Intense excitement.

8th Inning. The supporters of the blue call loudly upon their men; result, not one reaches first. But Harvard accomplishes nothing, and the score still remains unchanged.

9th Inning. Yale has one run to get to tie, and two to beat. Clark is first victim, sending a fly to Coolidge. Walden is unable to hit the ball, and strikes out. Hopkins closes Yale's chances by hitting up in the air to Nunn.

It is now merely a question how badly the blues shall be beaten. Nunn is first out. Then Cohen and Holden hit singles; Coolidge gets his base on an error; Tyng and Ernst take a farewell of Lamb for one base-hit each and Wright comes to the bat. For the third time in this game he drives the ball for two bases, but is left on third as Winsor finishes the game by a foul bound, - Cohen having been run out at third. Result: four more runs; making the total, Harvard 9, Yale 4.

For the third successive year Yale has had the championship wrested from her unexpectedly. In this game her men played well until the critical moment; while Harvard's nine never played steadier than during the long up-hill fight of the first six innings. It is a brilliant ending for those who will play no more on Harvard's side, and may well serve as a model for those who are to take their places the coming year.

R. IB. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Coolidge, B. 1 1 1 4 2 0

Tyng, H. 2 2 3 5 1 1

Ernst, P. 3 2 2 0 6 0

Wright, A. 0 3 6 12 0 0

Winsor, M. 0 0 0 1 1 1

Olmstead, L. 0 0 0 0 0 0

Nunn, S. 0 0 0 2 5 0

Cohen, R. 1 2 2 0 0 0

Holden, C. 2 2 2 3 2 1

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Total 9 12 16 27 17 3

R. IB. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Hutchins, S. 0 0 0 1 0 0

Parker, C. 1 1 1 1 3 1

Lamb, P. 1 1 1 2 4 1

Camp, L. 1 1 1 0 0 1

Clark, M. 1 1 1 2 1 2

Walden, B. 0 0 0 4 1 0

Hopkins, A. 0 1 1 7 0 2

Watson, H. 0 1 1 8 3 1

Ripley, R. 0 0 0 2 0 0

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Total 4 6 6 27 12 8

Time of game, 2 hrs. 10 min.

Umpire: Mr. Nickerson, of Brown.