A DIZZY DAY.

WE called it a dizzy day because we were so dazed by the beauty of those "giddy, giddy girls in Chelsea." What were we doing in Chelsea? We were on a "geological survey" to study the formations of the country around. Unfortunately, we only had a self-appointed '80 man for an instructor, but being an '80 man he was a perfect stranger there, so he was obliged to buy a compass, in order to "know where he was when he was lost." We started on Hanfield Avenue, turned up Victory Street and ascended Mount Garfield, where we could see the charming city Chelsea below us, and in the distance the blue air of Boston. The great questions to be solved were these : Do the blue waves lick the ocean? Is Chelsea built on terraces formed by fish bones from Tafts or by the sea? We thought so. After this solution the instructor was all broke up, and said he wanted a solution with a little glacier in his; but Chelsea being a temperance town it was not to be considered. Finally we decided that each man should choose a hill, go up, take a nap, and afterwards we would meet near Malden, tell our dreams and lunch.

We parted, napped, descended, and met again; but, fortunately for you, reader, not one man had a dream (I cannot lie, for one). We lunched on marron mashe and green fruit, served, expressly for the occasion, from the Brunswick. While lunching, the great question of debate was whether we should keep on walking to Malden or return to Chelsea. Some thought Malden, some Chelsea, nearer. I was sent as a committee of one to find out which was right.

Not far off stood a house that had evidently drifted down, ages ago, with the glacier.

I entered the grounds, ascended the steps, and rang the bell. The door was opened by one of those giddy girls, and I began : "Daughter of the fairest race of women on this continent, do I judge aright, after the conglomerate circumlocutions of this morning, that before me stands the maiden who will bid me rest my weary limbs in her father's palatial halls?" She replied with a disdainful glance : "Oh! I know yez, yez be one of them air students from Cambridgeport;" and turning to her nice little pet dog, she said, "Seize him, Roger." I started for the street. He seized. The remnants of my trousers I wore home under a friend's ulster.

On my way back I was harrowed with the thought that if I had less affected I could have effected more. It's a cold day when I go there again. "All those who wish to take a trip to Chelsea to-morrow can do so, by taking the boat which leaves Rose Wharf, South Boston, at 12 M."