THE GAME WITH COLUMBIA.

OUR first college football match of the season was played on the Manhattan Polo Grounds, in New York, Saturday last, with Columbia. Two of Harvard's regular Team, Houston and Manning, were unable to play, Foster and Boyd taking their places. Harvard won the toss, and took the wind, giving Columbia the kick-off. In a minute, the ball was driven down to Columbia's goal, and it was evident that Harvard was to play an aggressive and, unless some accident intervened, a successful game. But though our opponents were plainly overmatched, they defended themselves so successfully, that for some time no advantage was gained over them. Finally, Thacher gained a touch-down, from which Keith kicked a goal. The remainder of the first three-quarters passed without any thing being done by either side, - the ball still being kept close to Columbia's goal. After ten minutes' rest, play again began, and soon a touch-down was secured by Boyd for Harvard. The ball was punted out, but as no fair kick was got, a goal could not be tried for. Columbia now made several desperate rushes, one by Burton being specially fine. But the ball soon returned to its old place, close to Columbia's goal. In a few minutes Kent kicked one of his wonderful goals from the field, and Harvard secured still another touch-down, Clarke being the lucky man. Keith kicked a goal from this touch-down in fine style. When time was called, the score stood, Harvard, 3 goals and 1 touch-down; Columbia, 0. For Harvard, Thacher and Foster played remarkably well. Clarke and Atkinson also did good service. Keith kicks goals from place-kicks finely, and Kent is a worthy successor to Winsor. The playing of Henny for Columbia was really very good, as also was that of Burton. The result of the game is gratifying; but the Team that won it must remember that they have not yet had the experience of an up-hill game, and that it is one thing to play well when there is a goal in their favor, but another thing to do so when the goal is against them.