THE YALE GAME.

THE football season ended last Saturday with the annual game with Yale. From the reports of the matches already played by our opponents, and from our knowledge of the men who composed their team, we expected a hard game. For to oppose Yale's veteran eleven - all of her players had been at least one year on the 'Varsity - we had a team made up almost entirely of new men. Yale outweighed us, too, considerably, the average weight of her rushers being over 170 pounds. To support this line of forwards, they had Camp, Watson, and Badger, well known as fine half-backs. Our men, on the other hand, were lighter, and rather weak in their half-backs, the latter fact being especially noticeable in the game. The time set for beginning was 2.30; and, a little later than that, notwithstanding a pouring rain, play was called, Yale winning the toss, and taking the wind. Kent kicked off for Harvard, and for a minute or two we kept close to Yale's goal. But the ball was soon returned, and gradually moved towards Harvard's 25 yd. line, within which it remained most of the time. Once, after some sharp playing by our men, and a fumble by Yale's halfbacks, we had a down close to our opponents' goal. Yale expected that the ball would be passed to Kent, and all her rushers made for him. But instead, the ball was thrown to Edmands, who tried for a goal. This was the one time in the game when Yale was hard pressed. During the rest of the play, they at least held their own. The remainder of this three-quarters passed without any thing further of importance happening. After a rest of ten minutes, Harding kicked off for Yale, and the ball was quickly forced down to Harvard's goal. Here Watson, having very pluckily thrown himself on the ball, received a severe kick in the head. He soon recovered, however, and play went on, Boyd being substituted for Manning. For nearly half an hour now the ball advanced and receded between the middle of the field and Harvard's goal line. Ten minutes before time was up, Foster and Boyd were hurt, Keith and Manning taking their places. A number of downs now followed close to Harvard's goal. In one of these, Harding of Yale claimed a foul against us, which was allowed by the referee. This gave Yale a down directly in front of our goal. The ball was snapped back and passed to Camp, who by a fine drop-kick sent it between our goal-posts, thus scoring a goal for Yale. Harvard now kicked off from the middle of the field; but only three minutes remained, and Yale was determined to keep her advantage and delay the game. At the last moment, just as time was about to be called, Watson, by a fine run, secured a touch-down, making the score one goal and one touch-down for Yale to nothing for Harvard. Watson and Harding played best for Yale; Atkinson, Edmands, and Foster for Harvard. Mr. Loney, Captain of the Princeton team, refereed the game.