WHICH SHALL IT BE?

EVERY college resident

Is asked to vote for President,

And to inform you, let me state

The name of every candidate.

First on the list is Ulysses S. Grant,

Who is trying to worm

His longed-for third term

From the votes of the people, - but can't.

Then there are Blaine,

The idol of Maine,

Who butters his bread on all sides;

And Thurman, and Sherman,

And the wily old German, -

Carl Schurz, who his hopefulness hides.

Perhaps 't would be subtler

To vote for Ben Butler,

Though he lost in the autumn election;

But most think that Bayard

Would certainly try hard,

And turn out the wisest selection.

REV. PHILLIPS BROOKS will preach his second sermon before the students of the College on Sunday evening, Feb. 8, at St. John's Memorial Chapel. Part of the church will be reserved for members of of the University until twenty minutes past seven.

THE Hour says some people have queer ideas of what constitutes holiday recreation. A Harvard student from Yucatan went to spend his vacation in his native equatorial latitudes, and passed the entire time in fighting in one of the periodical revolutions indulged in by his countrymen. Refreshed and invigorated by this delightful sport, he returned in due course to pursue his peaceful studies at Cambridge.

DR. PEABODY defended Harvard at the Williams Alumni dinner in Boston. In reply to a remark that after the Freshman year there was no discipline at Harvard, Dr. Peabody said that in a prehistoric term he had been a tutor at Harvard, and that then, with about 200 students under them, the Faculty spent the greater part of their time in administering penal discipline. Now, with the number of students largely increased, such a case of discipline happens not once in three months. He was happy to say that the student is no longer a savage, but a civilized being. It is true, he remarked, that after the Freshman year there are no proscribed studies; but the men do better work than they did under the old system, as the examinations are very searching, and no one graduates without having passed them satisfactorily.