THE CLASS NINES.

THE editorial on Class Nines in a recent issue of the Crimson, and the generous offer by the Advocate of a pennant, to be competed for in a series of games, has been effectual in awakening considerable interest in base ball in the three lower classes. The Seniors held last Monday a meeting of those interested in this subject; but, as only four gentlemen were present, they adjourned. The general lack of interest evinced by the small attendance at this meeting has compelled the Seniors to abandon the project of competing for the prize. Eighty-one from the beginning has shown great enthusiasm. They began practice a week ago with fifteen men. This number has increased daily, till there are at present twenty-three men trying. A fair estimate of the prospects of the Nine may be obtained from the following list of candidates: Coolidge and Folsom of the University; Barton, Elliott, Fisher, and Sanger, of the '81 Freshman nine; Berry, Brinsmade, Clarke, Edwards, Fiske, Harvey, Mills, Mitchell, Nesmith, Ridgely, Seaverns, Slater, Spaulding, Stewart, Stephens, Tilden, and Wagar, all of whom have had more or less experience previous to entering College. The Sophomores have seven men in training, in addition to those who played last year in the Freshman intercollegiate series. The nine of '83 has already been selected, and will consist of the following men: Jennison, C.; Smith, P.; Crawford, 1 B.: Ranney, 2 B.; Slocum, 3 B.; Heilbron, S. S. and Captain; G. H. Page, L. F.; W. Fuller, C. F.; C. S. Hamlin, R. F.; G. M. Davis, substitute.