THE H. A. A. MEETING.

THE third and last day of the H. A. A.'s Winter Meeting took place on Saturday last, in the Hemenway Gymnasium, and, although very interesting, was not so successful, either in the number of the events or of the entries, as the meetings of the two preceding weeks. The excellent management which has characterized the two previous meetings was again noticeable in the promptness with which the different events followed one another, and gave great satisfaction to a large number of spectators, many of whom were graduates. First on the list came the vaulting (with one hand), for which Messrs. F. B. Keene, '80, and J. L. Paine, '81, were the only entries. The bar was first placed at 4 ft. 6 1/2 in., and was gradually raised to 5 ft. 2 1/2 in., without a failure to clear it on the part of either; but at 5 ft. 4 in. both were unsuccessful, in six trials, and the bar was again lowered to 5 ft. 2 1/2 in., which each cleared easily. On the bar being raised once more to 5 ft. 4 in., Paine succeeded in clearing it at his second trial, while Keene again failed, and the prize was accordingly given to Paine. The highest record at Harvard at this event is 5 ft. 4 1/2 in., made by Mr. Keene on March 4, 1878. This is the fifth event at this meeting in which Mr. Keene has competed, and, although unsuccessful as far as gaining a prize is concerned, he has nevertheless proved himself, without question, the best general gymnast in the University, - a fact which the Association gracefully acknowledged last Saturday by presenting him with a well-deserved cup for general excellence.

The final bout of the Light-Weight Sparring between Messrs. Heilbron, '83, and Sharon, '81, proved perhaps the most entertaining event of the afternoon's programme. Sharon has held the championship of the College ever since 1877, with the exception of last year, when he was prevented, by illness, from entering, and an easy victory for him was anticipated; but Heilbron surprised every one by his marked improvement in sparring since his plucky bouts with Thomsen, '80, and Spaulding, 81, at the last two meetings. In the first round Heilbron's improvement in style was particularly noticeable, and many of his blows were very effective, while Sharon was not up to his usual form at all, and attempted little else than to parry the frequent leads of his opponent. In the second round, however, Sharon took the aggressive, and proved himself the quicker and straighter hitter of the two, although Heilbron got in some very good returns. The third round was the most exciting of all, each man doing his best to win; but Sharon's finished style and long experience stood him in good stead, and the cup was finally awarded him.

The Club Swinging (legitimate) followed next, and brought out Messrs. J. C. Rolfe, '81 (one of the contestants on the parallels the week before), R. Luce, '82, J. T. Howe, '80, the winner of the Club Juggling, and E. D. Brandegee, '81, of the Varsity. Mr. Rolfe's swinging was very graceful; but, as on the parallels, his motions, though very well executed, lacked variety; and as Mr. Luce showed a lamentable want of practice, the contest for the prize was quickly narrowed down to Messrs. Brandegee and Howe. The former, with 8 lb. clubs, executed a number of very difficult motions, his back curves and straight-arm swings being particularly noticeable for their excellence; while Mr. Howe, with 2 1/2 lb. clubs, accomplished some very intricate and complicated motions, many of them, however, wrist motions, which it would be impossible to execute with heavier clubs. As the two contestants represented entirely different styles of swinging, and yet each was most excellent in his own style, the judges were at a loss to decide which was the better swinger, and finally presented two equal first prizes, one to each of the two contestants.

The first bout of the Heavy-Weight Sparring came next, in which Mr. R. Bacon, '80, and H. Burr, L.S., appeared, and an excellent display of scientific sparring was looked for; but owing to the indisposition of Mr. Burr, the bout, after the first few passes, proved an easy victory for Mr. Bacon. Mr. Burr has been suffering from the effects of a recent severe illness, and rather overestimated his strength, so that he was unable to finish the bout. The style of both men was excellent, and had Mr. Burr only been himself, it would have been a most interesting contest. Messrs. R. Sturgis, '81, the Captain of the Lacrosse Team, and G. B. Morison, '83, the Captain of the Freshman Football Team, contended in the Running High-Jump. The bar was gradually raised from 4 ft. 6 in. to 5 ft. 2 in., without a failure to clear it; but at this height Mr. Sturgis failed, and the cup was given to Mr. Morison, who cleared it very gracefully at his second attempt. This is Mr. Morison's first appearance in the High-Jump, and his graceful and easy manner of jumping shows that he can go much higher with practice. The highest record here is 5 ft. 3 in., made by Mr. A. C. Denniston, '83, on Nov. 1, 1879. Owing to an unfortunate mistake, Mr. Denniston's entry failed to reach the Association in time for him to compete on Saturday as he had expected to. The meeting has been, on the whole, the most successful Winter Meeting ever held here, and the Association deserve the thanks of all members of the University for successful endeavors to promote Athletics at Harvard. The Judges of Sparring were Messrs. H. C. Leeds, '77, V. Stow, '80, and F. Cunningham; and for the other events, Dr. Sargent, and Messrs. Hooper, '80, and Hammond, '81.

E. J. W.