DIARY OF AN ENNUYE.

Jan. 1. I am going to keep a diary this year. Cousin Sue gave me this; and, when I get back to college, it will help recall her to me. Had a talk with the governor to-day. He thinks I don't study enough, and wonders why I am absent from recitation so much. Resolved to brace, - to go to bed at 10.30 P.M. and get up to prayers all the rest of this year. Shall not go to the theatre at all till after the "Semis." What a lot you could accomplish in life, if you wasted no time! (That's a pretty good thought. I shall jot down any others that may occur to me hereafter.) But then how tired you do get of grinding! - Must go to bed now.

Jan. 2. Awfully cold. To church to hear Beecher! He is a great man, but a little off color. Walked home with Miss S. Mighty fine girl! Left for Boston by night train. Had rather dull journey. Was squeezed into a seat with a fat woman as far as New Haven. How much pleasanter and nobler life would be if all monstrosities were kept out of sight! Read "Endymion" nearly half through, and think it splendid. So racy and refined! How much nicer it is to read of lords, &c., than the common herd! I hate snobs.

Jan. 3. Found Cambridge dull. Shaved. Went to two recitations; pretty hard work, but am determined to keep up my good resolutions. Jack asked me to go to the opera to-night; but I refused. Studied three-quarters of an hour, and then finished "Endymion." Very touching! Full of great thoughts! I like books that are deep. To bed at 10.25.

Jan. 4. Beastly cold! Got to prayers. Cut Pol. Econ. Sleighing fine. Went speeding on the Brighton Road. Stopped at the Hawthorne and got warm. Have changed my mind, and am only going to see first-class performances at the theatre. So went to the opera. Splendid! Find it improves my style to keep a diary. To bed at 1.

Jan. 5. Cut prayers, but got to History at 11, without breakfast. Cut rest of the day, and played billiards. Eve., theatre.

Jan. 7. Forgot to write my diary yesterday. Don't remember what I did. To-day, felt sleepy and had a bad headache. Must take care of myself, and so shall not go to recitations till I feel better. Eve., played poker.

Jan. 8. Summons from Dean. Had my hair cut. Put on special probation. I am going to see opera to-night.

Jan. 9. Memorandum. Paid Carl $ 37.83 for refreshments. Bills are real unpleasant.

Jan. 10. Cold day.

Jan. 11. Rainy.

Jan. 12. Am not going to keep diary any longer. Is too much bother, and I don't have time.