THE SPIRIT OF THE NEW REGULATIONS.

THE part of the Dean's Report which relates to the revision of the Regulations is of especial interest to undergraduates, both in itself, and because it gives a very clear statement of the position of the Faculty in making the changes which took effect last autumn.

With regard to the indefiniteness of penalties, about which there has been some complaint, the Dean says: -

"The enumeration of acts which are offences only because they are prohibited is reduced to the lowest point which seemed practicable; while breaches of order are left without provision, to be dealt with at the discretion and by the general authority of the Faculty, as has been done heretofore in many cases not covered by positive regulation. In all cases, specific penalties and regulations, suggesting a line up to which failure of duty or breach of discipline may be safely carried, have been struck out, in order to offer no temptation for a kind of calculation of results which is believed to place the student in an essentially wrong attitude of mind towards his regular duties." And, again: -

"Dealing with the matter in the light of a considerable experience, the Faculty determined to adopt the simple provision with respect to students of all classes, that habitual absence is prima facie evidence that the student is not fulfilling the purposes of his residence at the University, and calls for inquiry, explanation, and such action as may be found fitted to the special circumstances, and that irregularity of attendance, unless accompanied by good scholarship, is to be treated and regarded in the same way. No scale of penalties is stated, and no precise line of absences or scholarship is given, the design of the rule being to deal with individuals and not with sharply defined classes, and to deal with them by such flexible methods as are necessary, in distinguishing between cases where the student proves his capacity to act upon his own responsibility, and those where he needs more or less support from discipline. The application of such a system necessarily implies a much closer supervision of individuals, and a greater exercise of personal influence and discretion on the part of those charged with its administration, than is required under any scheme of fixed rules. . . . In the revision of the regulations, as well as in the system of elective study, the Faculty have had constantly in view the purpose of encouraging young men when approaching their majority, to act upon their own responsibility, and to learn to make a considerate and profitable use of that full liberty of action which they are so soon to enjoy. The results already attained justify the belief that by this means, without loss of scholarly attainment or of regularity of work, the College may still more effectively perform its duty in the formation of character and the preparation of its students for the duties of life."

This view of the question seems a very just one, and must commend itself to all well-wishers of the College. In individual cases, it is not impossible that an offender may suffer more than under the old system; but on the other hand, he is given full opportunity to justify himself, and, in the majority of cases, much more latitude is given than ever before.

With regard to College work, an entirely new and most enlightened spirit is announced, -

"The theory of crediting the student with work done, rather than charging him with deficiencies."

In consequence, hereafter, every elective in which a student passes his examinations will count towards his degree: hence, by anticipating some Freshman work, and making up twelve hours in all during the next two years, it will be possible to graduate in three years, if a man can show that he can undertake the extra work with safety. The regulation affecting failure in the Freshman year is consequently modified, as well. Instead of requiring an average of 40 per cent in the Freshman year, a man will not be dropped in future, unless he fails in seven hours of his work; and he is given an opportunity to rejoin his class whenever, by taking extra work, he has reduced the deficiency below seven hours; he naturally still has to clear all conditions before receiving his degree.

There are several other points of interest bearing upon this whole matter in the Report, which is a most gratifying indication of the progress of a broad and liberal spirit on the part of the authorities.