No Headline

THE College papers have so often petitioned for new courses without achieving even the moderate success of having their petitions posted as "requiring further explanation" that we take up our stylograph with fear and trembling, even though it be only to ask the admission of the undergraduate student to a course already given in College; our reference is to Superlative Economy 1. When we were a Sub-Freshman we derived great pleasure and profit from the perusal of a little volume entitled "Ye Proverbes of Beniamin Franklin," and made up of such choice maxims as these, "Economic is Wealthe," "A Penny Sav'd is a Penny Earn'd," "Take Care of ye Pence and ye Poundes will take Care of ym selves." With how great, pleasure was it, then, that we discovered the influence of our old friend in the management of our beloved University. It appears that the fountain of Boston's wealth having temporarily run dry, the honored commander-in-chief has determined to raise that Three Millions by following out the above maxims, and, therefore, the entire working force outside of the Library has received rigid and valuable instruction in the works of the great philosopher. To this end is the hay carefully gathered and removed; to this end are the tons of blue-books sent to the ragman; with this laudable purpose in view the presiding genius at the office carefully tears off and preserves all unwritten paper which improvident students leave attached to their petitions. The happiest results are flowing from this policy. It is rumored that $2.14 was saved last year by the refusal to furnish students with copies of the examination programmes. To whom was it not an inspiring sight when, last June, a thousand students gathered about the solitary Tabular View on University's bulletin board? The crowning stroke of genius is, however, still to come. The administration have most ingeniously spread the report abroad that they are opposed to the blowing up of trees. As a natural consequence all the trees in the Yard will be immediately blown up, and the College will thus obtain a large amount of kindling-wood of the best quality and absolutely without expense. In the vacant spaces apple-trees will be planted, care being taken to select a variety ripening before September 29, and from this source a considerable revenue will be derived. We are sure then that we are doing no more than our duty by our constituents when we petition for their admission to Superlative Economy 1.