No Headline

"THE Harvard Shakespeare, edited by Rev. Henry N. Hudson," deserves some notice, perhaps, at our hands. We are certainly concerned in an undertaking which boldly appropriates the name of our College for its titlepage. But we can hardly congratulate Mr. Hudson on his good judgment in thus attempting to connect himself or his writings with an institution that has never yet taken the slightest notice of him. We confess it had occurred to us that there was only one man who could properly edit a "Harvard" Shakspere, and that man was our own Professor Child; it had also occurred to us that there were other books than those prepared by Mr. Hudson on our shelves and in use in our Shakspere classes, - namely, the series edited with so much skill and accuracy by Mr. William J. Rolfe, of Cambridge, and also the excellent Clarenden Press manuals of Mr. W. Aldis Wright. And in the critical line we had always supposed that Dowden, Ulrici, and Werder over-topped the Magnate of Boston University. But it seems we are wrong - in Mr. Hudson's eyes. Now it is not only aggravating to have a book which we by no means approve heralded over two continents as a "Harvard Shakespeare," but is also something more than annoying to feel that this would-be offspring does us little credit. Mr. Hudson has tried hard to establish himself as a Shakspere critic; and as Mr. Furnivall says, "if you want more books," you can buy Mr. Hudson's books. But we are not overpleased to buy even a "Harvard Shakespeare" from Mr. Hudson's hands. In fact, we would rather purchase "Harvard neckties," "Harvard ulsters," and "Harvard bicycles." Of all forms of quackery which Harvard has in times past been forced to lend her name to, literary quackery is the worst; and we wish it could be distinctly understood by the outside world (as it will not be) that Hudson's "Harvard Shakespeare" is not a Harvard book.