BREVITIES.

"AND now comes the Harvard Register."

PROFESSOR AGASSIZ returned from Europe last week.

THE whole University comprises fifteen departments.

THE average age of students in the Annex is above twenty.

MR. PACH will open his Cambridge studio next Monday.

THE Football match with Yale occurs to-morrow at New Haven.

MR. J. B. LUDLOW, '81, has been elected editor of the Crimson.

CORNELL has formed a Students' Guild, similar to the German institutions.

A COMMENCEMENT part may be substituted for any two of the Senior Forensics.

PROFESSOR SIMON NEWCOMB'S three lectures will be delivered before December 21.

THE Freshman Football Team play the Phillips Academy at Andover to-morrow.

A CLASS of eight young ladies at the Boston Latin School are preparing for the Annex.

ONE hundred and twenty Freshmen went to see the Black Crook last Monday evening.

THE Freshmen have subscribed only $313 to the University Crew, up to the present time.

PROFESSOR FISKE lectured before the students of Bowdoin yesterday on American History.

REV. A. P. PEABODY addressed the Society of Christian Brethren last Thursday evening.

THE Yale Glee Club will give concerts in the leading Western cities during the Christmas vacation.

THE Harvard and Suffolk Bicycle Clubs will give races Saturday, November 15, at Clyde Park, Brookline.

THE races of the Harvard Bicycle Club, announced for November 7, have been postponed until further notice, owing to the weather.

SINCE the editorial in another column was written, it has been announced that the price of rooms in Thayer has been reduced.

THE Herald, by copying a letter from a Virginia paper, has added another to its long list of misrepresentations of Harvard life.

PROFESSOR BOWEN has an article on Malthusianism, Darwinism, and Pessimism in the North American Review for November.

CORRESPONDENTS are reminded that their names must be sent with their contributions if they wish to secure the insertion of the latter.

PROFESSOR JOHN FISKE is to repeat his course of lectures on "America's Place in History," at the Hawthorne Rooms.

PROFESSOR SARGENT is to conduct an investigation into the forest area and forest wealth of the United States for the tenth census.

THE Montreal papers justly speak of Bacon as "the sagacious captain of the Harvard team," and of Winsor as "the Prince of drop-kicks."

SUBJECTS for next theme in Eng. 5 are: "Style of Junius compared with that of Swift in the Examiner," and "Poetry as distinguished from Prose."

THIRTY-ONE gentlemen have signified their willingness to join a Chess Club. The club will not be formed unless thirty-five members can be obtained.

THE Captain of the University Crew desires all heavy men to try for the second eight. Whether they have had experience in rowing or not, they may be sure of careful coaching and attention.

THE Faculty meetings take place on the first and third Monday evenings in each month. Petitions that are granted will be posted on the following morning.

THE following members of '83 are trying for positions on the Freshman nine: Ranney, Slocum, Winslow, Dow, Mahan, G. M. Davis, Jennison, Smyth, McKay, Edwards, Lowell, Coolidge, Nichols, Jones, Page, Hamlin, A. C. Burrage.

A PORTRAIT of John Langdon Sibley, Librarian Emeritus, painted by Vinton for the trustees of Phillips Exeter Academy, is on exhibition this week at the gallery of Doll & Richards.

A MEMBER of '83, who comes from the "Far West," seeing Jones tugging at the bell-rope, exclaimed, "Well, I always knew they were very swell here at Harvard, but I didn't suppose there were elevators in the buildings." (Fact.)

IT has been decided that the Bicycle Club uniform shall be gray jacket, cap, and knickerbockers, color of stockings at option of rider. New members may join the club, at 16 Little's Block. Members may obtain their keys to the rooms at Bartlett's.

THROUGH the generosity of the late James Arnold of New Bedford, the University will be enabled to establish a great arboretum on the Bussey-farm property, West Roxbury, and to create with it a chair of arboriculture, the first in the United States.

AT the last meeting of the Natural History Society, papers were read by Dr. Mark, Mr. Davis, and Mr. Jeffries, '81. A series of very beautiful photographs of India were shown by Mr. Davis. The Society thinks of preparing a catalogue of these photographs and exhibiting them to the College.

THE Catalogue will be ready next week.

THE fifth ten of the Institute of 1770 are: Miles, Waring, Parsons, Leatherbee, Kittredge, Washburn, Oxnard, Cunningham, Lane, W. E. Stone.

ALL who intend to buy tickets to the series of concerts to be given in Sanders Theatre by the Philharmonic Orchestra are urged to do so at once, so that the arrangements may be completed.

THE football team to play Yale will be chosen from the following: G. F. Morse, '81; Manning, '82; Cushing, L. S.: Brooks, L. S.; Warren, '82; Cushing, M. S.; Tebbets, '80; Houston, L. S.; Thacher, '82; Nickerson, '80; Winsor, '80; Austin, L. S.; Holden, '81; Bacon (Capt.) '80; Cabot, '83; Shattuck, L. S.; Leatherbee, '83.

DISSOLVING VIEWS OF CO-EDUCATION IN THE CLASS OF '99MATHEMATICS.

Tutor. - What have you on the board there, Miss Flyrte? Surely, you don't mean that for a scalene triangle.

Miss Flyrte. - Dear me, no! I don't know anything about horrid old scaly triangles. You know I never remember the hateful old things.

Tutor (severely). - Well, what have you been good enough to substitute, pray?

Miss Flyrte. - Oh, that! That's my idea of an all too simply perfect hat. I thought I might as well do something, you know. Isn't it a duck?

Tutor (blushing). - Really - ah - Miss Flyrte - I shall have to ask you to stop - after the hour.

Miss Flyrte. - Why, of course. I know you won't be cross. And mayn't I wait till one o'clock, so we can have a real, nice, long talk? Say yes, like a dear!

Tutor (utterly routed). - Well - ah - really - why

(Curtain.)

ARCHEOLOGY.Professor. - Now, then, about the stola.

Miss Gusher. - Oh, what very quite too awfully awful dresses those poor creatures used to wear! Such guys as they must have looked! Just fancy me, Professor, with a nasty, horrid, old tunica on, and the most dreadful-looking sleeves, and a palla hanging down over my l-limbs, - why, I should be a perfect fright! And, O Professor! don't you think the girls' stockings must have been -

Prof. (alarmed). - There - there - that'll do, that'll do - take your seat - take two seats - anything - anything - dear me, where on earth is Weeks! - Acta Columbiana.

ATTENTION is called to the advertisement of Dr. Tourjee's Conservatory of Music on page vii. This establishment is well adapted to meet the musical wants of Harvard men.

HERR MAURICE KEIL (from Saxony), Teacher of German, will be happy to read with Undergraduates from German classical authors, or other standard works; or give private instructions in the German Language.

Herr M. Keil begs to say that he has been engaged in tuition for above twenty years in England, and that he was resident German master at Oxford for four years and a half, where his teaching was much appreciated. For further particulars and terms, apply to Herr M. Keil, 12 Dunster Street, Cambridge