LETTER FROM BROWN.

From our Regular Correspondent.

PROVIDENCE, Jan. 10, 1882. A vigorous effort was made during the first part of the college year to introduce the Oxford hat. Papers were circulated among the classes, and about two-thirds of confidents agreed to wear them. It's due time the "mortar boards" were obtained, and for a few weeks Providence assumed a very classical air, but with the advent of colder weather the hats were delegated to the shelf, and there they now rest. It is not likely that they will ever come down again.

The sophomores alone take active interest in boating matters. True, there is an "University Association" which comes out in the "Liber Brunensis" with a full list of officers, and with the statement that the university crew has not been selected, but beyond this annual appearance it accomplishes nothing. The boat-house on the Seekonk river was badly damaged by last winter's ice, and immediate repairs were necessary to keep it from falling. Some of the energetic members of '84 started a subscription paper and the house is now in good order. The sophomore class has a number of men in training, and they have shown a desire to do some good work on the water next spring. The crew will probably consist of M. A. Newell, bow; H. C. Bumpus, No. 2; J. G. Doron, No. 3; E. B. Durfee, No. 4; E. D. Burr, No. 5; and R. Lamb, captain, No. 6. A new costume has been adopted, cosisting of blue knee pants and white boating shirt, with embroidered "B."

Base ball matters are in a more flourishing condition. An association was formed early in the year, and five directors appointed. It is the duty of these directors, organizing as a board by the election of a chairman, secretary, and treasurer, to appoint the manager and delegates to the inter-collegiate convention, and in general to be an advisory and auditing council. Through the efforts of Prof. Greene a large hall has been secured for the exclusive use of the nine, and this will enable them to practice batting and pitching. It is, perhaps, too soon to speak definitely of our next team; but judging from the men in training the prospects are good. The following men are in practice : W. B. Bogert, W. A. Francis, E. S. Hosmer, J. M. Paine, H. A. Tillinghast, W. B. Waterman, '82; S. S. Greene and H. S. Graves, 83; J. G. Doron, E. B. Durfee and E. P. Smith. '84; W. B. Chace, 85.

There are seven fraternities now represented at Brown, six of these being secret and one open. The Beta Chapter of the Delta Phi fraternity, which has been inactive here for several years, reappeared lately. It has twelve men enrolled from the junior, sophomore and freshmen classes. The Delta Upsilon, (open society,) held a convention here last fall, and is in a flourishing condition. The following list gives the societies in the order of their establishment at Brown, and the number of men in each; Alpa Delta Phi, 22; Delta Phi, 12; Psi Upsilon, 16; Beta Theta Pi, 30; Delta Kappa Epsilon, 19; Chi Phi, 10.

The union dinner of the chapters of the Brown, Harvard and Boston Universities Beta Theta Pifraternity, under the auspices of the Brown chapter, will be given on Friday evening, Jan. 13, at the Hotel Narragansett. Providence. Judge Carpenter of New Hampshire will preside.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., Jan. 12, 1882-1A. M. For New England, fair weather, westerly winds, rising barometer, slight fall in temperature. Cloudy weather and light snow or rain will probably prevail on Friday.