A CLASS SONG FOR '82,

The following circular has been issued to members of the Senior Class.

MY DEAR SIR: It has been the custom with the classes which have preceded '82 to announce a competition for the words of the class song. In accordance with this custom, the chorister will be pleased to receive a poem from your pen. All poems submitted for consideration must be sent in before March 1, 1882.

With no desire to limit or cramp the poet's inspiration, a few suggestions may not be out of place, as the music will be composed for the words, and not selected. Let the character of the words be cheerful and spirited as far as possible, and not melancholy or retrospective. Do not make the poem or the stanzas too long. Several metres and examples are appended from which it is desired that the metre of the poem be chosen. Remember that the song is to be sung by nearly two hundred voices; simplicity of expression and metre are therefore necessary.

Please send your poem subscribed by an assumed name, accompanied by a sealed envelope containing both the assumed name and the real name of the author, and the first line of the poem. Yours truly,

F. R. BURTON,No. 58 Mt. Auburn street,

Chorister.Cambridge, Jan. 4, 1882.