THE PRICE OF BOARD AT MEMORIAL.

APPARENT DISCREPANCY IN THE LAST TERM BILL.

During the month of October the average price of board at Memorial Hall was $4.72; and during the month of November $4.80 per week. As provisions were no higher in December than in the two preceding months, and as there was no perceptible improvement in the quality of the board, there appeared to be no reason for any increase in price. When the term bills were made out, however, it was found that the unusually high price of $5.50 was charged for board during December. As no reasonable explanation for this unexpected advance was given, a rumor was circulated which reflects severely on the management of the association, to the effect that the authorities, fearing that a large body of men would leave the hall on account of the increased rates, had placed a much lower price on the bulletin board than the actual one; and that the bursar, when making out his term bills, charged the correct price, five dollars per week, which ought to have been posted. As this rumor, if true, would tend to give the impression that an attempt had been made to mislead the members of the association, we give the following facts obtained on the authority of the auditor, the steward and from other reliable sources: At the beginning of the college year a surplus fund of $1800 remained in the hands of the association. Shortly afterward several repairs were made at the hall, which the bursar thought should be charged to the members of the association. The bills for these repairs were sent to the auditor, who approved them, and charged them to this surplus fund of $1800, instead of to the amount received for board during the last term. If these repairs had been paid out of this surplus fund, the price for board would have averaged about $4.70 per week for the whole term; whereas if they had been paid out of the money received last term, it would have averaged about $5.00 per week. The auditor chose the former plan for paying them, while the bursar preferred the latter. So the whole matter seems to be a misunderstanding between the auditor and bursar.

We are assured by Mr. Balch that the price of board will probably be much less this term than the previous one, while the quality of the board will remain the same. We sincerely trust that there is no truth in the report that a large number of students intend leaving the association on account of this unpleasant affair; but if any have such thoughts we hope they will consider the matter carefully before making a decision.