COLUMBIA AND HARVARD.

A meeting of the students of Columbia College was held last Friday in the college chapel for the purpose of discussing the difficulty arising over the proposed boat race between Harvard and Columbia Colleges which was to have been held at New London during the past summer. Mr. Van Sinderen read a report of a committee appointed at the last meeting of the directors of the boat club, for the purpose of preparing an impartial account of the controversy between the colleges, taking the facts of the case as given by the referee of the race. The report stated that the representative of Columbia College had never agreed to give up the race, nor had they understood, either officially or otherwise, from Harvard's representatives, that the race was not to be rowed. The report denies the allegation made by Harvard that the Columbia crew remained at New London and continued its practice after the Harvard crew had left because the Columbia crew had other races to row, adding that the Columbia crew remained simply because it was not aware that the race with Harvard was not to be rowed, and not to practice for any other race, as Columbia College had no other race to row. The meeting finally approved of the action of the directors of the boat club in all matters connected with the difficulty, and also decided to request the directors of the boat club to have a report compiled by its committee. The meeting also determined to request the directors of the boat club to abolish the fall regatta of the college in order that the college athletes may all devote themselves to foot-ball.