ELEGRAPHIC

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD.

Two more desperadoes of the Jesse James stamp were shot in Michigan yesterday.

Hon. Mark Francis Napier is to defend Arabi Pasha before the coming court-martial.

At New Haven Saturday the Yale-Princeton lacrosse game resulted in two goals for Princeton, Yale nothing.

Yellow fever is spreading rapidly. Sixty-four new cases and three deaths were reported at Pensecola yesterday.

Gen. Wolseley has been ordered home from Cairo. He will leave there Thursday, and will sail for Trieste Saturday.

Mr. J. H. Saunders of Chicago, president of the cattle commission, is in Washington for the purpose of consulting with Assistant-Secretary of the Treasury French with reference to some proposed quarantine stations along the seaboard.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., Oct. 16, 1. A. M. For New England, fair weather, slight rise in temperature, slight rise followed by falling barometer, northerly winds, becoming variable.

The practice of hazing is not new. Transported from the English university, it has in the American college attained to a virulence, even if not to a system, unknown in its original home. If fagging - a custom of which Dr. Arnold of Rugby approved - is not its parent, it is at least its sister evil, since both spring from the propensity of tyranny on the part of the older and stronger over the younger and weaker. But these ancient customs may be esteemed most honorable to the freshman in comparison with the indignities and barbarities which are at the present time occasionally heaped upon him, and which he frequently revenges by insults equally severe upon his persecutors. The past college year witnessed an unusually large number of cases of hazing of extreme severity. Kidnapping was a not infrequent practice, and the branding of victims by means of some strong acid was used to avenge insulted honor. [Harpers' Weekly.