PRINCETON.

Lacrosse - Hare and Hounds - Y. M. C. A. - The Faculty Rules on Athletics - Playing with Professionals Forbidden - The Base - Ball and Foot - Ball Leagues - The Coming Game with Harvard.

PRINCETON, Nov. 13, 1882. The weather has been most propitious for the ruling sports here. Foot - ball and tennis are in full swing. Lacrosse has no games to look forward to this fall, and hence the team have gone out of training, and will wait until the spring before doing any general or systematic practice.

The Hare and Hounds Club runs every Saturday. It has proved itself a valuable organization, both through the exercise it furnishes and by the men it has produced for long and short distance running. A cap is awarded after each run to the hound who comes in first, the rule being that the same man cannot take the cap twice. This method has proved a success, and each run is well attended.

On Saturday and Sunday the Y. M. C. A. convention of the colleges of New Jersey met here. Delegates were also sent by Yale and Lafayette. Considerable interest in the meeting seemed to be felt in a portion of the college. Dr. McCloud of Brooklyn preached a very powerful sermon in the chapel on Sabbath morning.

The regulations just issued by the faculty contain no restrictions regarding professional games. The opinion here among professors and students seems to be that as yet there is little or no evil influence to be traced to such games. Notwithstanding this the trustees at their recent meeting interfered and have prohibited the nine from playing games with professionals. The general impression is that the trustees are not the men who can best judge of such a matter and that their interference is uncalled for. There are no amateur nines in this vicinity and Princeton will have to depend for practice upon a consolidated nine, if we are to be prohibited from importing professional teams.

The general feeling in college is very strong in regard to the uselessness of retaining the weaker members of the base - ball and foot - ball leagues in the two associations. Amherst and Dartmouth are not the most interesting opponents in base - ball, nor is Columbia a very formidable rival for the foot - ball championship. The report is that Harvard favors this movement. It would enable the nines of the four other colleges to play three instead of two games with each other. The great distance between Dartmouth at the north and Princeton in the south is one among the numerous arguments used. To us it seems that it would not only make the base - ball games more interesting for the three or four larger colleges, but it would enable Amherst, Dartmouth, Williams, and perhaps one or two others to have a series of championship games which would certainly be more interesting for them than the present arrangement can be.

Every one is looking forward to the coming struggle with Harvard and Yale. The difference in the scores of the Harvard - Columbia game and the Princeton - Columbia exhibition game causes many to be very sanguine. The betting in New York indicates considerable confidence in our team. The eleven is, however, weak in some points, and less than a week remains to perfect their playing. The team is better trained this year than ever before, and, with few exceptions, the men seem in excellent condition.

A large delegation of students will go on with the team. It will be the first chance most of the visitors will have had to see Harvard and its surroundings.

The freshman eleven have played and won their first game. It was with the Lawrenceville prep. school. Score, two goals, two touchdowns, to three touchdowns. The eleven is improving rapidly, and is, perhaps, not far below the average freshman team.

H.