ROWDYISM AT EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY.

The delivery of Lord Rosebery's opening address at the Edinburgh University on Saturday afternoon was preceded by some very disorderly scenes. The students assembled at the Synod Hall in large numbers and behaved in a very noisy manner, throwing peas and beans, shouting, stamping and singing alternately snatches of songs and psalm tunes. A miniature pasteboard chair, placarded "The Celtic Chair," was suspended in the centre of the hall by a string stretching between the two side galleries, and proved the source of much disorder and amusement. Theatrical and circus bills were displayed from the front of the north gallery and on the string alongside the chair. Before the doors were opened a crowd of students clustered about them, clamoring for admission, and pelting with peas the janitors and others inside whenever they ventured to look out. Prof. Butcher, the new Greek professor, was received with a loud cheer on arriving, a lane toward the doorway being opened for him at the same time. The professor smilingly acknowledged the compliment, and was making his way into the hall when several students were heard to say "Let's give him a squeeze." The scene that ensued is described as being simply disgraceful. The professor was hustled, squeezed against the railings, pelted with peas, and attempts made to knock off his hat with sticks, and his coat was torn. Ultimately he got relief by Professor Wilson causing the door to be opened. For about ten minutes before the hour at which the proceedings were to commence the commotion in the hall was very great. Large numbers of students mounted on the seats, and several free fights between parties of pea-shooters took place. Before the stock of peas got somewhat exhausted the majority of those in the area were forced to put up their umbrellas to protect themselves from the shower from the occupants of the galleries. Lord Rosebery was received by the audience rising to their feet and cheering lustily for a minute or two. Professor Flint opened the proceedings with prayer. For a minute or two the professor was inaudible, the shouting and disorder continuing unabated. When there was silence to some extent, the various clauses in the prayer were greeted with "Hear, hear," "Oh, oh," and the prayer, "Cause our university to flourish in the future," was received with loud cheers. Prof. Kirkpatrick then presented the gentlemen upon whom it had been agreed to confer the degree of LL. D.; but his remarks were inaudible, owing to the uproar. The ceremony of capping, performed by the lord justice general, as chancellor of the university, was the signal for a tremendous burst of cheering. The noise and confusion continued during the remainder of the ceremony; and on the part of the occupants of the platform the proceedings were carried through in dumb show.

[St. James' Gazette, November 6.