YALE AND YALE METHODS.

EDITORS HARVARD HERALD: The project of giving up our annual foot-ball game with Yale, advocated by your correspondent yesterday, seems to me to be neither practicable nor advisable. In the first place such a proceeding would give our opponents a point against us, which they would not fail to use with their accustomed incapability of appreciating gentlemanly action. In the next place, there are other ways of forcing the Yale men to act like gentlemen if they cannot do so of their own accord. As Yale is the only exponent and champion of college "muckerism," and as every college in New England and the vicinity has had occasion to suffer, and has loudly exclaimed against Yale's rowdyism and cowardly insolence, it would be an easy matter to institute united action on the part of all the colleges against a continuance of Yaleism.

From the beginning of the freshman year Yale men are forced to learn and practice the mean and unfair methods which have become known universally as "Yale tricks." The new freshmen on the foot-ball field are daily cuffed, thumped and trampled upon until, in their desperation, they retaliate and finally learn to play the game which meets the condemnation of every one except a few "Yale supporters," who follow the team about, forced by the public opinion of their college to wave the blue handkerchiefs, sport the blazing society pins, and applaud the "thug like" playing which is greeted by everybody else with disapprobation and hisses.

No wonder, then, that Yale has become thoroughly imbued with the "thug" system, and it is now time for all colleges who discountenance such practises to unite in putting a stop to them. What I would advocate is a careful revision of the rules in all intercollegiate contests in which Yale takes part, so as to exclude all manifestations of "Yaleism." For instance, since Yale takes advantage of the rule requiring three warnings to send a man from the foot-ball field, adopt a rule requiring only one warning; thus the Yale rushers would not be allowed two warnings without punishment, or, in other words, they could not make two fouls without being disqualified. Some such method must be adopted. We can no longer meet Yale's brutal behavior in the mild, courteous spirit which we have hitherto shown. Neither do we wish to see fulfilled the prophesy of the Yale man, who said after the game Saturday, "You call our playing a mucker game, but you will have to come to it if you ever expect to beat us." But at all events, let us not be driven out of foot-ball by the illegal practises of a single college.

M.