TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD.

A dispatch from London announces the death of Prof. Spence.

The town of Pocahontas, Ark., was entirely destroyed by fire yesterday.

Guiteau must surely be hung, all efforts of Mr. Reed proving of no avail.

Ex-Gov. Moses of South Carolina has been sentenced to six months' imprisonment for larceny.

The strikes among the iron men still continue. A few of the manufacturers have signed the new scale of prices.

The race for the Prince of Wales stakes was won by Bradford's colt Quicklime, Roseberry's colt Gareth second, and Houldsworth's colt Springkell third.

The Senate finance committee today unanimously agreed to report favorably upon the nomination of David A. Stewart, to be collector of internal revenue for the 4th collection district of Missouri.

The cremation of Gen. Garibaldi's remains has been fixed for Thursday. Sig. Zanardelli, minister of justice, and Gen. Ferrero, minister of war, will be present as official representatives of the cabinet.

The laying of the corner-stone of the new produce exchange on Broadway, near Beaver street, New York, took place yesterday afternoon with imposing ceremonies, and in the presence of a large throng of people.

Games yesterday : At Boston - Detroits 4, Bostons 2; at Providence - Providence 15, Buffalos 7; at Troy - Troys 1, Clevelands, 0; at Worcester - Worcesters 6, Chicagos 3; at Providence - Princeton 10, Brown 8.

The House committee on elections yesterday disposed of the Alabama contested election case of Smith against Shelley, by the adoption of a resolution which declares that Mr. Shelley, the sitting member, is not entitled to the seat, and recommends that, in consequence of the death of the contestant, the seat be declared vacant.

An extensive counterfeiting case has been unearthed in Kirwin, Kan. Geo. F. Best, arrested for passing counterfeit money, and just from Boston, lived in a dugout on an 80-acre homestead, 20 miles north of Atchinson. The sheriff searched the house and found his pal, named Hudson, a complete set of dies and a quantity of unfinished counterfeit coin in different parts of the house.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., June 7, 1882 - 1 A.M. For New England, fair and slightly warmer weather; winds mostly from south to west, and stationary or slowly falling barometer.