THE SPORTING WORLD.

What is Going on in Athletic Circles.

The plans for the buildings of the new sporting grounds of the Philadelphia Ball Club were recently completed. The grand stand will be divided into three portions. The centre portion (reserved) will be furnished with six hundred iron folding-chairs with perforated board seats. In the rear will be seven private boxes seating eight persons each. The right arm will seat seven hundred and sixty, and the left arm nine hundred and eighty persons. This gives a seating capacity in the stand for twenty-three hundred and ninety-six persons. Along the Columbia avenue side of the grounds will be first-class open seats-having foot rests-for fourteen hundred and fifty persons. Another section, seating the same number, will be placed on the Twenty-fourth street side.

As the base-ball season is rapidly approaching, a few extracts from the rules adopted by the Intercollegiate Association, last December, may be of interest to our readers: "In the first place, the membership at present is limited to the clubs of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Amherst, Dartmouth, and Brown; and a unanimous vote of all these clubs is necessary to elect new members of the association. The annual fee for membership is fifteen dollars. In regard to the rule governing the membership of college club nines the constitution provides that 'Any student who has been pursuing a course of study through the entire collegiate year, and whose college expenses are in no way borne by men connected with base-ball interests, shall be eligible for membership of the college club nines.' But any student who shall play on a professional base-ball nine, or receive pay for his services as a player in a club nine, shall not be eligible to play in a college nine. The series of games to decide the championship of the association shall consist of two with each college club; the first game only on each home club's ground, or upon grounds mutually agreed upon, to count in the series. The greatest total of won games decides the championship. In case of a tie, one game shall be played by each club thus tieing with each of the other tieing clubs; said game to be played upon neutral grounds, and within ten days after the last scheduled game of the series. Each club is entitled and shall receive the entire receipts on its own grounds and pay its own expenses of the match."

Eighteen men are in training for the Princeton nine.

Morrill, Burdock and Sutton of the Boston team have already entered the gymnasium, and take daily practice. Whitney is expected in a few days, and it is probable that by March 1 all of the players will be actively at work in the gymnasium.

Hanlan declined Trickett's proposal to row for pound200 on the ground that he would not imperil his training for his race with Ross for less than pound500.

The London Sportsman, commenting on the American criticisms on the Henley Stewards barring American crews from the regatta, says: "We have spoken of the pranks of the Henley Stewards until we are postively tired, and, for the time being, shall wash our hands of them as irreclaimable."

There are now four entries for the Rowell six-days contest.

Rowell, Vint, Panchot, Noremac, Fitzgerald, Hart, Herty, Scott, Hazael, Sullivan and Albert are steadily training for the race which is to begin on the 20th. The first four are the only entries, however, so far. The others hope to be.

The English team of well-known cricketers will visit this country next September. They will play in New York, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Chicago and in Canada.

A trophy seven inches long, of gold, studded with diamonds, is to be presented to Mr. S. J. Montgomery, of the Elite Skating Circle, for his great fifty-mile performance in the Manhattan athletic grounds recently. His time was 4 h. 13m. 36s., beating the record 10 minutes.