No Headline

Again the locker question! Why is it that there cannot be a few more lockers in the gymnasium? Why is it that fifty men are deprived of the most valuable privilege which the college can offer, - the use of the gymnasium? For this is the case, inasmuch as men cannot exercise in their ordinary clothing with benefit, and clothing cannot be left in safety, except under lock and key. The fault does not lie with Dr. Sargent or with the gymnasium officials; of course these gentlemen desire to do all that they can to make their department a credit to the university. The Superintendent of Buildings, who is the Bursar also, has entire charge of the matter, and as we understand the affair, application has several times been made to him for permission to have new lockers constructed. This most reasonable request has been refused, because, forsooth, if these lockers were built, it might possibly happen that all of them would not be taken, and thus a needless expense would devolve upon the already overburdened treasury of the college. Alas, poor college!

Then again, the gymnasium is too small, and inadequate for the present and increasing demands upon it. Happy thought! the greater the number of persons denied admittance on the plea of "no lockers," the sooner will funds be raised for the proposed swimming-tank which is to enlarge so greatly the gymnasium facilities.

The objection first raised is absolutely nonsensical, for the rent of the lockers would more than pay for the cost of making them. The second objection is too puerile to answer. There is little hope. In spite of all we may say, the lockers will probably still remain locked up in the college treasury.