ENGLISH UNIVERSITIES.

ALTHOUGH it is very gratifying to have our virtues commended and our faults forgotten, we cannot expect to derive any real benefit from this kind of criticism. An unbiassed comparison, whether between individuals or institutions, is the only one conducive to marked improvement.

For such a comparison between the universities of England and America the reader is referred to an article in the North American Review by President Eliot. The length of the English term and the American term, the modes of instruction, the systems of examination, the discipline and morals in the colleges of both countries, are compared in such a way as to show what is best adapted to the wants of undergraduates.

Without attempting to give a synopsis of the article, we venture to make a few extracts. No little stress is laid on the fact that English universities have abandoned the field of professional education, while the best-organized American universities have begun to make "professional education a successful and important part of their service to the public."

The President has a good deal to say about fellowships and scholarships: -

"Two hundred and fifty pounds a year is a low estimate of the average annual value of a fellowship; so that the annual expenditure at Oxford and Cambridge for Fellows, who in that capacity are bound to no service to the University, and are free to follow their own pursuits, whether they be literary or otherwise, cannot be reckoned at less than $ 900,000."

In view of the fact that a number of our undergraduates are strongly in favor of introducing at Harvard a system of scholarships to be awarded without regard to the pecuniary need of the students, it is important to know President Eliot's opinion on this matter: -

"For many, many years to come even the richest American universities will need to apply all the money they receive to the endowment of instruction and research (not separately, but together), the acquisition of grounds, buildings, collections, and instruments, and the enlargement of their means of providing a gratuitous education for promising young men of slender means. When these more pressing objects are accomplished, they may, perhaps, begin to think of offering money-prizes, accessible to rich or poor, for notable attainments at school and at the university, and of providing for the comfortable support of able young men, rich or poor, for several years after they have left the university; unless, in the mean time, they should have come to the conclusion, from a comparison of the results of the English method with the results obtained by other nations, that there are means of promoting piety and learning more effectual than that of presenting money to the youthful mind as the most appropriate reward of scholarship."

It must be borne in mind that in America no provision is made for supporting even poor students who wish to pursue their studies in the University town after graduation.

American college corporations think they have done their duty when they have helped a "meritorious, but indigent student" to get his degree. In addition, it remains an open question whether American scholarship will be advanced or not by throwing open to rich and poor whatever rewards a college has to offer.

In alluding to the contrasts that exist between English and American student-life in regard to manners and morals, President Eliot thinks the tone of manners there better than it is in American colleges.

"'Hazing,' 'rushing,' secret societies, society initiations and badges, and the other barbarities and puerilities, which still linger in most American colleges, are unknown at Oxford and Cambridge; and the relations between students and teachers, undergraduates, graduates, and dons, are unreserved and strongly friendly."

The writer makes no reference to the "wine-clubs" which, until within a few years, were very popular at both the universities. He thinks there is much more drunkenness and licentiousness at Cambridge and Oxford than among an equal number of American students.

No attempt is made by American institutions to prevent extravagant expenditure on the part of students by prohibiting gaming, horse-racing, contracting debts with very long credit and high rate of interest, or driving four-in-hands; but President Eliot thinks it will be fortunate if such regulations are not needed before our institutions are half as old as Oxford.

G. H. D.