WILLIAMS.

ANNUAL CANE RUSH BETWEEN '84 AND '85 - THE FRESHMEN VICTORIOUS.

[FROM OUR REGULAR CORRESPONDENT.]

WILLIAMSTOWN, Feb. 8, 1882. "O tempora!" "O mores!" "How are the mighty fallen!" During the past week we have been informed that Williams is a reform school, and that to be connected with such an institution is beneath the dignity of our ex-president, the Hon. Paul A. Chadbourne. We had supposed that hostilities between the college and Mr. Chadbourne would cease on his withdrawal from office, but it seems, with characteristic spleen, he has chosen to revive the feud by writing to the press a letter slandering Williams in a most ungenerous manner. Great indignation is felt here among faculty and students, and must everywhere be felt among the alumni and friends of the college against Mr. Chadbourne for this action. The cause for this sudden outburst of malice is unknown, but the general belief here is that he has been "most terribly left" in something, and that having tasted a generous supply of sour grapes, he is trying to sweeten the flavor by hurling slanders against us. His administration here was one of tyranny, justice at his hand being unknown, and the "pack-up-and-leave" system of punishment for crimes real and supposed, carried to perfection. He was universally disliked, and his resignation was hailed with unconcealed delight by the students, and, we have reason to believe, with satisfaction to the faculty.

The reason for his resignation as he repeatedly gave it in public, was, that his salary was too small here, and that he was going where he could get ten thousand per year, - and yet, he has accepted the presidency of the Agricultural College - with no salary the first year, and agreeing to accept what is offered him after that; surely a strange proceeding in a money point of view. Various rumors were afloat at the time of his resignation. Some said that he had been asked to resign by the trustees, while the more general and well authenticated belief was, that President Garfield had offered him the position as minister to one of the courts of Europe. The death of the President overthrew this little plan, and the belief is that he accepted the presidency of the Agricultural College as a last resort, explaining his preference to that position to the presidency of Williams on the ground that this is a reform school, far too ignoble for him.

The matter is causing considerable excitement here, and may call forth a reply to his letter. The report has been current among the papers that Williams students broke up an entertainment here, and were so disorderly at one given in North Adams, that the police were called in. Both of these reports are fabrications, and utterly false.

Last Saturday was the eightieth birthday of our venerable ex-president, Dr. Hopkins. In the evening the faculty, with their wives, called to give him a surprise party, and the senior class to present him with an elegant pair of seal skin gloves. Dr. and Mrs. Hopkins received their guests most cordially, and a very pleasant evening was enjoyed by all.

P.