THE COLLEGE WORLD.

Eight new university professorships are to be established at Oxford, among them a chair in Archaeology.

The Spirit of the Times calls the Oxford-Cambridge race "this annual exhibition of second-class amateur rowing."

John F. Slater, of Norwich, Conn., has signified his intention of creating a fund of $1,000,000, for the education of freedmen.

Upon the death of the wife of the late Lewis H. Morgan, $100,000 is to go to Rochester University, for the education of women.

The committee of visitors at Andover Seminary recommends to the trustees a reconsideration of the election of Dr. Newman Smyth to the professorship of systematic theology.

An exchange says that Madison University, at Hamilton, New York, will send out forty-eight book-agents next summer. Harvard sends them out every day; likewise peddlers, beggars and traders, - by the back door.

"Columbia College, according to the last number of the Acta Columbiana, wishes it to be distinctly understood that it is a disciple of Harvard," says the Philadelphia News. Even if this were true it would be no disgrace to Columbia, we hope.

Professor Ely has been engaged to lecture at Cornell on the "Administrative System of Germany;" he is a graduate of Columbia, has recently been lecturing at Johns Hopkins, and has been writing a series of articles for the Nation, on Germany.

Mr. W. H. Martin of Troy, a member of the class of 1856 of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, has contributed $5,000 to the endowment fund of the institute, with a promise of $1,000 additional, up to $10,000, for each $10,000 raised elsewhere.