THE LATIN PLAY AT ANN ARBOR.

On next Saturday evening, June 17th, there will be given, under the auspices of the University of Michigan, the first Latin play that has ever been presented in this country. The play chosen is "The Adelphi" of Terence, his last and doubtless best comedy. The latest Chronicle says of the approaching revival : "In preparing this play for representation no pains have been spared to make it complete and correct in every respect. The costumes have been carefully studied from the best classical authorities and from engravings and statues. They are not exactly such as would have been worn by the Roman actors, but rather those in vogue in Athens at the time the action is supposed to have taken place - that is, 300 B. C. The old men are dressed in the chiton and pallium; the young men in the chiton and chlamys; the women in the encyclum, palla and chiton. In selecting the costume great attention has been paid to the harmonious grouping of colors. The aim has been to make the grouping as effective and beautiful, from an artistic point of view, as is possible. The colors shade from black through purple, garnet, orange, light blue, to creamy white and white. The borders of the different garments are on the Greek key pattern and are carefully selected so as to give a harmonious combination of colors. The other ornamentations are principally in silver and gold. In the matters of scenery, too, it has been the aim of the managers to have it perfectly consistent. It is worked up from illustrations and descriptions of Athenian houses and representations of Athens as it was about 300 B. C. As in the classical drama, the unity of place was strictly observed. Only one scene is necessary and that represents the street in front of the houses of Micio and Sostrata, with a view of Athens on the right and the country on the left. On the whole, no pains have been spared to make the play thoroughly consistent in every respect. The actors have worked night and day to make it a success, and if it is not so it will not be their fault. The originators have received considerable assistance, in the way of suggestions, from the Rev. W. Scott, headmaster of the Westminster School in London, where the play was acted last Christmas. Librettos will be furnished in Latin and English, which will enable those not conversant with the Latin to follow the development of the plot and enjoy the humor. It is to be hoped that the attendance will be such as to make it a financial success." While we sincerely wish the University of Michigan the greatest possible success in their praiseworthy efforts, we are very skeptical as to whether they can hope for great financial gain to be derived from the production of a Latin play in a very small provincial town whose population consists almost entirely of students and tradesmen.