THE BOAT CLUB.

TREASURER'S REPORT.

The meeting last evening was called to order at 7.05 by President Curtis. The attendance was quite small. Mr. G. R. Agassiz was elected vice-president by acclamation. Capt. Hammond then made a few remarks, first speaking of sending a four-oared crew to the inter-collegiate regatta, and advising that the matter be left with the executive committee; personally Mr. Hammond expressed himself against the plan, as such a crew would not be representative and would entail heavy additional expenses. Mr. Hammond then informed the meeting that only a few men were trying for the crew, and that he would be glad of help from any source in bringing out candidates.

Mr. Hammond then explained our position with regard to Yale. The facts in the case are as follows : On Oct. 18 Yale sent us a challenge, and on Oct. 25 we acknowledged the receipt of the challenge, and said that the matter would be taken into consideration. Dec. 10 Yale sent us a letter in which an answer to her challenge was requested before Jan. 18. Last year after Yale had accepted our challenge we could do nothing with her in regard to some of the arrangements, one of which was the manner of starting the boats. This controversy was finally settled by Harvard's giving in at the starting line. This year the acceptance of Yale's challenge, together with the settlement of all minor arrangements, has been put into the hands of the graduate advisory committee.

Mr. Agassiz of our committee has already written to a member of the Yale committee, and is now awaiting a reply. Mr. Hammond also spoke of Yale's employing a professional coach, saying that Harvard would not take a very decided stand against Yale's method, but would simply content herself with making a protest.

Upon motion of Mr. Clarke, '84, the matter of sending a four-oared crew to the inter-collegiate regatta, was referred to the executive committee. The meeting then adjourned.