HARVARD '87, 3 GOALS, 2 TOUCHDOWNS; ROXBURY LATIN SCHOOL, 1 TOUCHDOWN, 1 SAFETY.

The freshman eleven played their first match game of the season Saturday afternoon, and made a very good showing. They had the Roxbury Latin School eleven for opponents, and easily defeated them by a score of 22 points to 2. '87 had the kick off, and by a fumble of their opponent's full back, they scored a touchdown through Cochrane. Willard scored a goal a few minutes after from a touchdown by Keyes made after some brilliant passing and good running. The Latin School were forced to a safety touchdown by the good play of '87, but the freshmen failed to score anything further in the first three quarters. One of the Roxbury eleven was injured shortly before the inning closed, and the second half was played with ten men on a side. At the beginning of the second three quarters, good running by Sears and Butler gave the Latin School their only score, 1 touchdown from which no goal was kicked. Soon after Brooks gained a touchdown for Harvard, closely followed by another by Fiske, from which Willard scored the second goal. The score was closed shortly afterward with a pretty goal from the field by Willard. At times the play of the freshmen was loose, but this was to be expected in the first game. This was more than made up for however, by several very brilliant individual plays, together with general good kicking and fair tackling. If '87 shows the improvement that is naturally expected from them in the next few weeks, they will surely merit all the encouragement and support that their classmates can give them. The team was as follows: Back, Peabody; half backs, Willard and Cowling; forwards, Tilton, Brooks, Keyes, Cochrane (captain), Ayer, Fiske and Higginson. Referee, Mason '84; umpire, for Harvard, Henry, Latin School.