GREENOUGH THAYER.

In the death of Greenough Thayer it has pleased our Heavenly Father, in the exercise of that divine wisdom which we can not question, to remove from our midst one who had already succeeded, in the brief time we have been together, in winning the esteem and trust of his class-mates. His life has been before us day by day, full of earnest zeal and of patient devotion to his studies ; and although his character has been thus unfolded in his life, we feel that in the contemplation of his heroic death it may find its truest interpretation. It is thus with mingled feeling that the news of his death has come upon us. We rejoice that he who has departed first from among us has left us the example of an upright life and of an unflinching death. At the same time we feel deep sorrow at our loss and sincere sympathy with his family in their affliction, and it is to give some faint expression of this feeling of sorrow and of sympathy that we have met together.

WALTER HALBERT,ARTHUR G. WEBSTER,GEO. READ NUTTER, Committee.Oct. 1, 1883.