THE INTERCOLLEGIATE MEETING.

Feeling that the college may be interested in Mr. Lowell's remarks on the sports at New York last spring, which we were compelled to omit from our report in yesterday's edition, we print them to-day,"

"To say that Harvard was well represented in the intercollegiate sports would be but a feeble encomium of the magnificent work which our representatives did at New York. Before the sports Columbia thought she had a good chance of winning the cup, as did Yale, and, although we felt that we had the best chance, we never for one moment expected that, to say nothing of winning the cup, we should win as many first prizes, seven, as have ever been won by a single college. and should totally eclipse all our competitors. Our nearest rival, Princeton, won but two first prizes, Columbia won but two and Yale had to content herself with one.

Very great credit is due to all the members of the team for the faithful way in which they did their work during the year especially when it is considered that they had no trainer.

During the year our athletes have broken three of the Harvard and, at the same times, of the Intercollegiate records. Mr. Kip made the splendid record of 88 ft., 11 in., in throwing the hammer at the Intercollegiate meeting. Mr. Goodwin again lowered his half-mile record at our spring meeting making the distance in 2 min., 4-5 sec. Mr. Athkinson made record of 5 ft., 8 1-2 in., at the I. C. A. A. meeting. Mr. Atkinson really jumped 5 ft., by an amateur in America but the stupidity of one of the judges cost him an inch in the record.

I can not on without a mention of three athletes who have now severed their connection with the association, who have done a great deal for Harvard in their several branches. Mr. W. Soren has won seven ourt of the twenty-four first prizes which Harvard has won in the four years she has held the cup, has won first prize in every jump on the I. C. A. A. programme: running high, running broad, standing high, standing broad and pole vault, holding the best amateur record in the world for the standing high jump. Mr. G. B. Morison has run in nearly every athletic and gymnastic meeting while he was mile run twice in the I. C. A. A. meetings and the general excellence prize for gymnastics three years. Mr. C. H. Kip was beaten in throwing the hammer in the spring of 1880 making a record of 58 ft., 8 in. In 1882 he wonsecond prize at the I. C. A. A. meeting in the hammer throwing and also in putting the shot. In 1883 he made the best American college record, 88 ft., 11 in., a throw of 30 ft., 3 in. more than he made in 1883. He also won first prize in putting the shot. Harvard will need very much this year men to throw the hammer and put the shot. Mr. Kip's record ought to encourage others to follow his example and not to be discouraged if they do not succeed at first at these performances which are by no means as uninteresting as some seem to think them."