SPORTING NOTES.

There is some talk at Princeton of having an athletic meeting this fall.

The decisive game for the class championship in base-ball at Yale was played Saturday, and won by '84.

The English cutter-yacht Madge has been stripped and hauled up at Long wharf, Newport, R. I., for the season.

The regatta of the New York Canoe Club was on September 30 postponed till October 7, owing to the state of the tide.

Lawn tennis is booming at Cornell. A new association has been formed and many new members admitted. An association also exists among the professors of that college.

American horses abroad. - Foxhall, Bookmaker, Romeo and Wallenstein have accepted for the Cesarewitch stakes Oct. 10 at Newmarket, and Iroquois, Nereid, Sachem, Foxhall, Aranza, Don Fulano, Bookmaker, Romeo and Wallenstein have accepted for the Cambridgeshire stakes Oct. 24.

In reply to an invitation recently forwarded by a member of the New York Athletic Club, asking him to visit this country in the fall and run L. E. Myers a series of races at half a mile, three-quarters of a mile and one mile, W. G. George, the +++ English +++, has sent word by cable that he accepts and will shortly leave for New York.

Yale beat the Wesleyans 9 goals to 0 in foot-ball Saturday. The Yale team was as follows: Back, Camp; halfbacks, Richards and Terry; quarterback, Twombly; rushers, Tomkins, Hindman, Farwell, Beck, Knapp, Dawes and Bertram. Capt. Hull of the crew is coaching the eleven, and several crew men will undoubtedly play among the rushers when the team is finally organized.

We have just received the first number of The Wheelman, a handsome magazine issued monthly and devoted to bicycling news and articles. There is reproduced in this number that very amusing and well illustrated account of a tour made by the representatives of some seven or eight Massachusetts bicycle clubs around Boston, entitled "A Wheel around the Hub," which many will remember was brought out about two years ago in Scribner's. In the next issue a history of the above-mentioned article will be given, with a sketch of each one who participated in the run.

In the recent games of the Manhattan Athletic Club in New York, L. E. Myers participated, but he won no prize except in the consolation race, being so heavily handicapped as to render it almost an impossibility for him to beat the other contestants. Myers was entered for a 440 yards' run, handicap, and he was the only man who toed the scratch, the competitor that stood nearest to him having a start of 25 yards, and the one furthest from him having a start of 60 yards. There were 11 entries, and when the signal go was given Myers started like a deer, rapidly passing one runner after another. Had the race been a few yards longer he would undoubtedly have won, and as it was he came in second in 0:49 3-5. T. J. Murphy, who had a start of 30 yards, passing the line only three-fifths of a second ahead. A 660 yards' consolation race for beaten men was the last event of the day, and Myers decided to run in it. Having an even start with his competitors it became only a question of how far he would leave them behind. He pushed so far ahead that he found it safe to walk the last 20 or 25 yards on the home stretch and he came in winner in 1:39 2-5.