A GERMAN FESTCOMMERS.

The students of the University of Berlin recently celebrated the four hundredth anniversary of the birth of Luther, by a grand "Festcommers." Being desirous to see a good specimen of this thoroughly German student-custom, we procured a ticket and on the appointed evening made our way to the place of meeting. This was a large hall, hired for the occasion. The platform was decorated with flags, the national coat of arms and other emblems, and was occupied by two or three rows of tables. Down the hall, al right angles to the platform, ran fourteen long tables with about eighty seats apiece. For each person there was provided a pamphlet containing songs, and a mat for the beer glass. The gallery and a number of boxes under it, the latter only elevated a few steps above the floor and admirably situated to receive the benefit of the tobacco smoke, were occupied by spectators, more than half belonging to the fairer sex.

At about eight o'clock, the students began to come in and to take their seats. At the ends of the tables occupied by the various "Corps" sat their officers. (The "Corps," we may remark, correspond in a way to the Societies, secret or open, in American colleges, but are in every respect very different organizations.) These officers were conspicuous, in full evening dress, with sashes of various colored ribbon, white gauntlets, swords and caps about the size of a saucer, placed at various angles on their elaborately dressed hair. We noticed those of one "Corps" in white doeskin trousers and high boots. The tables on the platform were occupied, the front one by professors who were to join with the rest in celebrating the festive occasion, and the one behind it by the "Prasidium," consisting of six officers from the different Corps.

Toward nine o'clock, one of these officers, the "Commander of the Commers," drew his sword, and slapping the flat side of the blade on the table, called for "Silentium" and introduced the first speaker, one of the Professors. This gentleman delivered a short address upon Luther and his work, and concluded by calling upon those present to sing "Ein Feste Burg ist unser Gott." The whole assembly rose, and led by the orchestra sang the first verse of Luther's grand triumphal hymn. a few minutes were now spent in conversation and drinking of beer, and than the Commander made a short speech appropriate to the occasion and called for the health of the Emperon. This was drunk in most approved fashion and a verse of the National Anthem sung. The manner of toasting is worthy of description. Everyone rises, the Commander calls, "One, two, three, drink." Then, "one, two, three," and the bottoms of the glasses are rattled upon the table producing a most peculiar effect. Again is called, "One, two, " and at "Three" down comes every glass upon the table with a loud "Bang."

So the evening passed on. The professors made addresses, all of course relating to Luther and to the lessons to be drawn from his life, and drank to the health of the students; songs were sung and the whole proceedings were interspersed with periods for conversation, during which the band played. Whenever anyone speaks or while the singing is going on, the officers of the "Corps" remain standing, with their swords lying before them, and between every verse of a song, they "slap" (this word best describes the action and sound) the swords on the table, and the Commander calls for "Silentium" and announces the number of the next verse. Applause is expressed by a vigorous "Bravo," and any noise during the speeches is vigorously hissed down.

Throughout the evening we did not see an unseemly action. Nothing but the most genuine good feeling and joviality pervaded the whole assembly. The professors entered into the spirit of the occasion, smoked and drank beer, and, although they did not stay as late, seemed to enjoy themselves as much as the students. Still, we are informed that less important "Commers" are apt to be rather noisier and later affairs than the one we have described. About half past twelve, the Commers broke up after singing a Latin song and the students dispersed.

It would be interesting to know the amount of beer consumed on this evening. Twelve hundred persons, drinking twelve quarter-liter glasses apiece would give thirty-six liters. This, we do not believe to be an exaggerated estimate. [Brunonian.