PRINCETON VS. YALE.

The following account of the Yale-Princeton game is taken from the Sportsman, and is interesting as presenting a different version of the reported "slugging match" in which a Princetonian was figured as the aggressor. From what we have heard, the opposite would seem to be the case : "The Yale-Princeton championship game was kicked at the Polo Grounds, Saturday, Nov. 24. About six thousand spectators assembled to witness the game, which was virtually to settle the Inter-University championship. Most of these were college boys, and could be easily distinguished by their badges of blue, black and orange, crimson and blue and white, representing respectively Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Columbia. That the game played was highly interesting and exciting no one will deny, but that it was foot-ball, as foot-ball should be played, we cannot admit. No doubt the game of Saturday was just the thing to suit the majority of the spectators. It was a regular series of wrestling matches and fist fights, interspersed at times with fine play of foot-ball. We can reiterate the remark of a spectator who stood by us, which was : "That's awful rough work, rougher than I've ever seen, but if it suits them it certainly does me." The excitement ran very high among the spectators, and the college boys fairly hugged each other with joy as their favorite team would make a good play. Had the referee done his duty he would have disqualified several of the players, and notably so Twombly, the quarter-back of Yale. He was just a bit too active in his position, or rather out of his position, and on one occasion received a stinging right hander square from the shoulder from one of Princeton's men. Several times a free fight seemed pending, the Princeton men losing their tempers at Yale's rough play. The grounds were very well laid out for the game, but the turf was slippery from recent rains, which may have accounted in a measure for Moffat's poor kicking, although he did get in one or two very serviceable long kicks, but generally he sent the ball twisting right up in the air. Richards of Yale fairly "downed" him in this respect.