COLLEGE BASE-BALL.

Prospects for the Coming Season.

"College base-ball associations," says the Times, "find it very difficult to pick out a strong team to represent their respective colleges every season. It is often the case that a collegian, after several seasons' work in the diamond field, is graduated just when he becomes an accomplished player of the national game. The Princeton College Club will lose four of its most valuable players next season. They are Larkin, the first baseman; Ernst, the pitcher; Schenck, the catcher, and Rafferty, the second baseman. About a dozen collegians have sent in applications for membership in the nine to fill the four vacancies. It is thought that Princeton will have a good team in the field next season, as some of the applicants are good general players. Besides this, the Princeton club has engaged John M. Ward, the pitcher of the New York League Club to coach the men in their preparation for the coming season. The Yale nine - the present champions - will be weakened greatly by the loss of the three basemen, Hopkins, Badger and Platt. Hopkins is considered one of the best players in the ranks of the college clubs, and his retirement is keenly felt by the Yale men. Badger and Platt are good players, and it is doubtful if the club can secure their equals before the season begins. Bean, the pitcher of Harvard's base-ball representatives, will finish his studies and leave the club before next season. The remainder of the clubs in the college association will make very few changes in their nines."