ELECTIVE PAMPHLET.

Although the Elective Pamphlet for next year is not yet entirely made up, quite a number of changes are in contemplation, aiming at increased opportunities for instruction. A general sketch of these changes can be but indefinite, especially as matters of detail are not at all decided upon.

The instruction in Semitic Languages will be hereafter of an entirely linguistic character. The courses which belonged more particularly to a study of divinity than of philology will be given up. As before there will be two Hebrew courses. The instruction in Arabic will now be included in two courses instead of in one as before. Assyrian will be given two new courses in addition to the old one. The Aramaic course will remain as before. By these changes the pamphlet will include eight courses in Semitic languages, making a department that cannot be surpassed by any in this country, and at least equal to any in Europe. The Sanskrit and Zend department will remain as before.

In Greek, the old Greek 1 of last year will be restored, as well as the old Greek 2. Greek 3 will be the same as the course of that number this year, except that Homer will be read in place of Herodotus. This course, which is intended for those who wish to acquire facility in reading Greek, can be taken three successive years, instead of two as formerly, and the authors read will be (1883-84) Homer, (1884-85) Greek plays, (1885-86) Herodotus. The composition courses will remain unchanged, as will 7, 8, 9, Prof. Goodwin returning to his old courses. Prof. White's course on the "Life of the Ancient Athenians," Greek 10 hereafter, will be raised to a full course, but will be omitted next year.

In the Latin department, the old Latin 2 will be dropped and a new course substituted which, with Latin 5, a course that can be taken two years, will correspond to Greek 3, its object being to give facility in reading Latin. Latin 11, the course in colloquial Latin, disappears, its place being taken by the second composition course, Latin 7, in which speaking and writing Latin will be taught. Prof. Allen will have a new course, in place of his course on the Roman Drama, on the critical study of Ovid. In Greek and Latin there will be no change. Prof. Greenough will take his old course, and Prof. Allen will repeat his lectures of last year on "The History and Methods of Classical Study."

Hereafter English 3 and 4 will alternate. A new course in elocution to count as a half-course will be given. In the French department there will probably be some important changes. Two new half-courses will be added, which, with French 4, will cover the whole range of French literature. These will probably be taken by Prof. Bocher. Mr. Sheldon also has a new course on old French and Provencal Philology. corresponding with German 8, with which it alternates. The Italian and Spanish departments are still in a state of uncertainty.

In the Philosophy courses formerly under the charge of Prof. Palmer, the instruction will be given by Dr. Royce. Dr. James' course will be divided, so that the first half-year can be taken as a half-course. Prof. Dunbar will give a new course in Political Economy on "The Financial Systems of Europe and America."

The most notable addition in the History department will be a course by Dr. Emerton on the conflict between Christianity and Paganism in the first eight centuries. There will be an additional half-course in Roman Law.

In Mathematics there will be a new course on the elements of mechanics. In addition to this there may be some unimportant changes which are not yet determined upon. The most important addition to the department of science will be a new advanced course in Physics, by Dr. Hall.

This is but an outline of the changes in contemplation. Any one of the additions of which we have spoken may be given up, or numerous changes may be made, before the elective pamphlet has finally been determined upon.