BASE-BALL.

Brown, 10; Harvard, 5.

THE customary challenge from Yale for a series of games to be played during the coming summer has been received. At a meeting of the Harvard Nine, held subsequent to its reception, it was decided to accept the challenge, in so far as to acknowledge our desire to meet the Yale Nine in a series of games; but the fixing of the days on which each individual game shall take place was left till some future time. The custom of playing a series of games seems almost entirely to have superseded the single game of former years, and it is, I think, the only true way of testing the respective merits of the two Nines. Leaving out of the question the advantage gained by the club on whose grounds the single game is played, there are many benefits which accrue to each college from a series. By this plan, the friends of each college are sure to see one of the games played on their own grounds, and so, of course, more interest is excited; besides, a more extended intercourse between the members of the two colleges is thereby promoted, and this surely ought to have a good effect in turning the spirit of bitter enmity, which too often exists, into a feeling of generous rivalry.

A word of exhortation to ball-players in Harvard may not be out of place here. The Nine is supposed, and surely ought, to be composed of the nine best players in the University. Is the Nine, as it stands at present, thus made up; or are there some men keeping themselves in the background, whose services might be of great benefit? If there be any of this latter class, we shall surely hope to see them, as soon as Jarvis Field is free from snow, working for the place which their merits should secure them.

C. T. T.