COMMENCEMENT.

Commencement day passed as most commencements do, the only interest attaching to the presence of Gov. Butler and the Lancers. At nine o'clock the board of overseers met at Memorial Hall and voted to concur with the president and fellows in their votes reappointing Henry Dixon Jones, A. B., instructor in elocution for the ensuing academic year; appointing Charles Pomerly Parker tutor of Greek and Latin for three years, from September 1, 1883; reappointing Frederick Bradford Knapp, S. B., instructor in surveying and drawing; appointing Joseph Randolph Coolidge, A. B., 1883, instructor in Spanish for the ensuing academic year; and Robert H. Harrison, V. S., assistant surgeon of the veterinary hospital for the ensuing academic year; reappointing Barrett Wendell, A. B., instructor in English; appointing LeBaron Russell Bringgs, A. M., instructor in English; electing Henry Pickering Bowditch, M. D., dean of the medical faculty; electing Thomas Dwight, M. D., Parkman professor of anatomy. The following honorary degrees were also voted: Charles Babbidge, D. D.; Francis Amasa Walker, LL. D.; George Edward Ellis, LL. D. Ernest Jackson was appointed assistant inspector of college in place of Augustus P. Loring, declined.

Mr. Babbidge has been pastor of a church in Pepperell for fifty years, and was chaplain of the first 6th Massachusetts. regiment which went through Baltimore. Shortly after ten o'clock the procession, headed by President Eliot and Gov. Butler, marched to Sanders where the usual exercises took place, At one o'clock the alumni meeting was held in Harvard Hall, at which William G. Russell of Boston was chosen president for the ensuing year. At the dinner of the alumni in Memorial Hall, the crowd was larger than ever before. The Hon. Joseph H. Choate, of New York presided. In the course of the speaking the election of overseers was announced as follows: Andrew P. Peabody, 580 votes, the highest number cast for one candidate; Francis M. Weld, 541; Solomon Lincoln, 499; Wm. C. Endicott, 375; Phillips Brooks, 319. The Rev. Phillips Brooks' name was not on any ticket.

Mr. Choate was the first speaker. In the course of his remarks he managed to make a hit at almost every thing connected with the university. His speech was greeted with much applause and laughter. Mr. Choate also mentioned the receipt of a proposition by Samuel J. Bridge of Boston to present a bronze statue of John Harvard to be erected at the head of the Delta. President Eliot, who spoke next, referred to the fund raised to increase the salary of the president and various other gifts of the past year. He also spoke in the highest terms of the long enduring generosity of the state of Massachusetts which had done so much for Harvard. Gov. Butler in reply spoke in a very complimentary way of what the state owed to Harvard. Other addresses were delivered by Dr. Geo. E. Ellis, Col. Henry Lee and ex-Gov. Dorsheimer of New York. During the dinner the usual exercises took place in the yard.