FACT AND ROMOR.

Yale's Sohpomore class has five Bible societies.

The editors of the Dartmouth secure their appointment by competition.

Matthew Arnold is to lecture before the University of Michigan, on Feb. 1.

The college received $173,000 from term-bills alone, last year.

The number of students working in the chemical laboratory is 208.

The net yearly income of Matthews Hall amounts to about $10,000.

The buildings and collections of the Natural History department now represent and expenditure of $700,000.

The first year of the Veterinary School opens with nine students in attendance.

A class of twenty-nine members is taking a course in phonography at Notre Dame University, Indiana.

The Columbia Spectutor warmly advocates the establishment of a course in Oriental languages, at that college.

The students of Columbia are about to bring out a new journal, the name of which will be The Columbian.

The three strongest men in college, according to the tests of Dr. Sargent, are Messrs. Curtis, Keith and Foster.

Mr. Frederick Vinton, the artist, has been engaged to paint a portrait of Dr. A. P. Peabody for the university.

The vote cast for President of the Dining Association, last Friday, was the largest ever recorded in a Memorial Hall election.

Turf, Field, and Farm, says; "Harvard College considers her prospects on the water for this year quite as good as last year, and perhaps better, and believes that the 'Varsity crew will work hard to put in another victory for the crimson."

The new Law School building is named Austin Hall, after Mr. Edward Austin, who gave the money for its erection.

Several candidates for the freshman nine are now working under Captain Loud in the cage and on the chestweights.

In the Divinity School despite the fact that no account is taken of absence from prayers and recitations the attendance shows no decrease.

The American college at Rome has at present forty-four students, representing twenty-four cities and towns of the United States.

Carleton College has no seniors, the entire senior class leaving been "Dropped" into the junior year, because their conditions had not been made up.

It is rumored that a second eight will be organized from our class crews by Capt. Perkins, in order to meet the challenge of the Pennsylvanians.

Mr. J. E. Mellen, the popular instructor in sparring in the gymnasium, will leave shortly for Rochester, N. Y., where he will take charge of a gymnasium.

Petitions are being circulated by the friends of Billy Frazier and E. J. Ferris asking that their favorities be installed as instructor of sparring in the gymnasium. Ferris' petition has already sixty signers.

A Japanese student at the University of Berlin has been appointed assistant to the Professor of Anatomy, and the Minister of Public Worship has approved the appointment. No honor equivalent to this is said yet to have fallen on a Chinaman in any European institution.

At the recent Yale banquet in Chicago, Prof. Wheeler said he classed himself as one of the most unfortunate men on earth-a teacher. In conclusion, he gave some interesting statistics about the College. His own ambition for Yale was, that the scientists should not crowd out the classics, nor the classics crowd out the scientists, but that young men attending the college should be given a free choice of courses. He thought that in the last ten years the moral improvement of the students had been great. Twenty-five years ago the average Yale student was a longhaired individual, wrapped in a blanket-shawl. Today he looked like a gentlemen, whether he acted like one or not. This change, he believed, was due to athletics.