THE PENNSYLVANIA CHAMPIONS AGAIN.

"A. H. V. S.," presumably A. H. Van Snideren, an officer of the Columbia Boat Club, writes to the N. Y. Times about the recent action of the Pennsylvania oarsmen: "Their ambition was laudable. At the Passaic regatta on May 30, 1883, their wish was gratified to a very limited extent. They then met the Columbia college eight under conditions the most favorable as far as they themselves were concerned. That is, the race was to be for a mile and a half, their most practiced distance; they had been rowing together for at least a year under professional coaching, and they were to meet a crew whose little training had been exclusively devoted to four-mile pulls, and which was, therefore, unqualified, other things being equal, to cope successfully with men whose strong point was a mile and a half spurt. Nevertheless, this crew, with their professional trainer and his methods, was beaten by Columbia. She, in her turn, was disastrously defeated in a race covering her pet distance on the Thames by Harvard. This places the university at about the bottom of the list in college boating."